Poetics – Time and Time Again

viagem-no-tempo

You had to pick today to show up

An untimely time if you’ll pardon the pun.

As I awoke this morning

I saw my share ebbing away,

I need more but I can’t buy it.

Fate has I believe

Stepped in,

Though no ones fault.

The curtain begins to drop

It’s how it is.

I’ll try to stretch it

But it wont spread any further.

Maybe a repair job?

Spare parts?

Time will tell

But I fear pigs might fly first.

Days go by they don’t bank up

I have a finite amount

As do you.

This morning I heard that fortune favours the brave

But misfortune dogs the loser.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/07/22/poetics-time-and-time-again/

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/07/22/poetics-time-and-time-again/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Poetics – Time and Time Again

1. Gabriella says:

Great use of all these set phrases we throw into the conversation regularly. I like how you ended up with a poem that made me smile and ponder at the same time.

2. I found myself imagining the “you” under several different guises…at first death. And I guess at the end of the story, that will be how it is. I, too, enjoyed your use of time-worn cliches–pun intended. There is a time and place for them, isn’t there?

3. What an excellent poem you have written here.

Very embraceable and full of imagery. 🙂

4. I read (my interpretation) of time in our life line running out, the curtain does close, cannot be stretched and we need to be strong facing the every day. Honest words Michael.

5. Grace says:

I was thinking of death coming in, closing in as we all have a finite amount or ending ~ it does take courage to wake up and face such every day ~ Have a good week Michael ~

6. Mary says:

I identified with the idea of the days going by and not banking up. Indeed we all have a finite amount of days. We won’t know how many until they are over! Thought-provoking writing, Michael.

7. Bodhirose says:

It is thought-provoking. If Fate steps into the picture, I don’t know just how we can maneuver around that… I like this.

8. Jeff says:

Never enough time, and none to spare. Even if we lived a thousand years we’d still be pressed. Nicely written, I enjoyed it!

9. RoSy says:

I hope my finite days are not close by or around the corner. But – I guess one never knows…

10. You have given us a resigned narrator aware of fleeting moments – can’t bank them, or stretch them – loved the pigs might fly line – a little comic relief! K

11. I can’t quite put my finger on it what it is that I love about this and I wish that I could. It’s brilliant.

“I have a finite amount

As do you.”

Good reminder.

12. Sumana Roy says:

passage of time can only be captivated in words i guess…nice food for thought…

13. claudia says:

oh – you packed quite a lot into this… great idea to include the quotes we often use without much thinking as well

14. Madhura says:

This is such a wonderful poem.. I loved the use of those quotes.. made me stop and really think about what they mean…

15. Oh! I love the idea of our share of time, of it ebbing away, and that days go by they don’t bank up! Wonderful!

16. MarinaSofia says:

Great ironic use of all the cliches and sayings about time…

17. A beautiful and wise write.

18. rmp says:

sounds very untimely indeed. there are repairs and even spare parts, but in the end there is an end…while time itself is infinite, ours is finite.

19. margaret says:

Time closes the curtain on the grand divas as well as the stage hands 🙂 I love the ending.