Meeting the bar – the haibun – Meeting

woman-waiting-airport

I am standing watching you. I see the hesitation, the coyness of your person, you are apprehensive I can see that.

I am contemplating how I can make this easier for you.

You have travelled far to get to this point. We have made plans, wonderful plans, and despite the planning, the scheming, the dreaming we are still physical strangers.

I know what I am expecting but are you?

I watch as you look about, you scan the arrivals, I know you are looking for evidence of that grainy photo I sent so long ago. In my heart I know we are going to be ok. Outside the sun shines, the beginnings of spring are upon us. I see that as an omen for us.

I catch your eye as you glance my way. You stop, look again, your eyes fixed on mine, simultaneously we step forward.

across a vast divide

two souls have found each other

harvesting our love

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/05/29/meeting-the-bar-the-haibun/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Meeting the bar – the haibun – Meeting

1. JackieP says:

Great story Michael, wonderfully done.

2. I really love how you build a tension here.. It’s like a snippet of time – stretching itself both backward and forward in time. I can see this growing into a larger story. Where the parts grow gradually into a complete story of the two people. Interleaving it with haiku works very efficiently… Love it Michael

3. kathy reed says:

“in my heart I know we will be ok” love that!

4. MS says:

I really enjoyed that, Michael. I felt like I was right there, felt that nervous excitement, apprehension, and relief at the end.

5. claudia says:

so did you meet your wife like that..? i know some people who met each other online, fell in love and heck – when you meet face to face for the first time then i think it’s nerve-wrecking – but so cool when you find out the person you meet is the one you wrote to… cool

6. Gabriella says:

I enjoyed reading this, Michael. You built up the expectation and the tension between what was taking place and your thoughts very efficiently. I hope this is not just fiction.

7. Suzanne says:

It would be lovely if this happened in real life as well as in fiction. I love the line ‘in my heart I know we will be ok’. – so romantic

8. hypercryptical says:

Beautifully done. My son and DiL met in a similar way – and now I have a lovely grandson…
    Anna :o]

9. brian miller says:

nice…i enjoyed your prose…you def build the tension…the detachment of the watcher, i am glad it is a happy ending…what a relief to bridge that gulf in the end and finally see each other…and to know too that he lived up to her hopes.

10. Grace says:

I waiting for the ending….very lovely story ~ I am glad when two souls find each other across a great divide ~ Have a lovely weekend ~

11. Linda says:

How very exciting! A little apprehension, a little knowing. Wonderful piece~

12. Oh, how romantic. I keep bumping into romantic writings lately – I’m wondering if it’s a sign that I should get me some of that for myself again…! 🙂 Wonderful storytelling.

13. Larry says:

You write so well. If she admired your writing before meetimg you, why wouldn’t she think highly of you upon meeting?

14. Bastet says:

Beautifully written! What a wonderful encounter … one can feel all the pathos of shyness and what-ifs and hope … and then that flash of recognition. Loved it!

15. This is so beautiful and romantic, Michael! It is prose and yet so very poetic. I love the build up, one can feel the heart beats and then voilà!!

16. Bryan Ens says:

That would be a frightening, yet exciting experience.

17. Mary says:

I enjoyed reading this very much, Michael. It is really special when something like this happens & even more special when someone shares.

18. RoSy says:

I can feel this. The bit of nervousness before the actual meeting.

19. Unless a person is completely egotistical, each of us have found ourselves in a similar place, whether through similar circumstances or not. You caught that uncertainty, apprehension, the fear of not being the person the other expects and wants as well as the excitement of possibly finding “the one” very well, Michael.

janet