Poetics: Take a leap with Cheryl Kellar – Dressed Up

light-seeking

All dressed up nowhere to go.

Looking the part in expensive attire

Carefully selected to look the part

Fitting like a glove, feeling good.

Its day break, deep breath, I’m ready

It’s taken some internal psyching

Putting one foot in front of the other

Out of bed, not disturbing the loved one.

Shoes to fit, no glass slippers here

No magical carriage, no footmen

Just shanks’ pony for me

I’m ready, door opens, lets go.

Stepping out into the public light

Well, the low glow of the encroaching dawn

Something’s wrong, the elements have betrayed me

Rain, lovely to see, but not for me right now.

So I think I’ll wait, it’ll clear

Stand around in my finery

Looking like a shag on a rock I know

I begin to see the reality.

Plans can be abandoned, go back to Plan A

Swallow pride, put the ego aside

Go back to bed, snuggle in,

The loved one shifts slightly. Hello!

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/04/29/poetics-paintings-by-c-nelson-kellar/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Poetics: Take a leap with Cheryl Kellar – Dressed Up

1. claudia says:

that was probably the best decision to go back to bed to where the loved one was waiting already.. the world out there can be rather uncomfortable at times…. great weave of the metaphor here sir

• My goodness Claudia you are quick today. I am just reading your poem now. Thank you for your comment, now I am back in bed, all is good, there is always tomorrow. Loved one is happy.

2. Ha.. love the changed plans.. sounds a lot better. woot and hurrah for the rain.

3. brian miller says:

life happens…plans change…i used to get pretty frustrated when things did not go my way…and there is still a level of frustration, but you can miss the moment when you let that frustration steal it….

4. JackieP says:

I’m thinking you got a better deal by going back to bed. 😉

5. Going with the flow . . . love it when we can go back to bed. 🙂

6. I always think that going back to bed wins! Loved this!!

7. Well constructed poem. Liked the subtlety of the mood change. Standing about in finery chit chatting is only bearable if it is part of a job description otherwise bed or even cleaning out the fridge is preferable imo.

8. Grace says:

It rained today too when I was planning to go for a walk, darn it ~ I like the shift in perspective, changing one’s mind and go back to warm bed.

Thanks for participating and wishing you Happy Week ~

9. Thanks Grace, well as the cool dawn breaks with rain falling bed is where it’s best to return.

10. RoSy says:

I wish I could have gone back to bed this morning. Oh well.. there’s always the weekend or my work from home days when I can catch a few more extra minutes of shut-eye. 🙂

11. Madhura says:

I would have loved a walk in the rain, to clear my thoughts.. but not dressed the way you were.. so yes, better go back to bed! Nicely written poem! 🙂

12. ugh, yes – back to bed bud, that’s the best place…

13. jo-hanna says:

oh no.. I wanted to know where you were planning to go so early in the morning, in your glad rags.

14. How nice is it to spend the day in bed, when the weather is inclement. Whoot at the loved one shifting slightly, makes the waiting around all worthwhile 🙂

15. CC Champagne says:

A truly warming and wonderful write! Made me smile!

16. Ah yes, being back under the duvet is sometimes the best choice…. Lovely!

17. no glass slipper made me smile – its never the fairy tale but a loved one in a nice warm bed is always a happy ending! K

18. Sumana Roy says:

best choice i guess….nice lines 🙂

19. Great to accept the change in plan and nothing better than snuggling with the loved one. Nicely done, Michael.