Haibun Thinking: Week 13 – The Monkey Cage

13-c2a9-michael-grogan

My brother and I stand back and look happily on the now half finished monkey cage. There’s a good week before the cage has to be completed. My brother stands back in his working clothes, dusty from the dust generated from sanding down the timbers of the cage. He took many days to meticulously paint, made harder by the cold winter winds as he has to work outdoors.

He is very committed to the project, it’s taken him several months to achieve a life like cage, the play it is for wants and demands a sense of reality about the props he constructs. The director will travel up tomorrow to inspect his work. We both know he will be impressed as he has used my brother in many of his earlier productions.

Knowing the cage has to be strong enough to hold a child, care has been taken to realise such a factor in the construction. The cage when finished will travel to its theatre, protected from the weather, which this time of year is often unkind to anything exposed to it.

The children involved in the production, Roald Dahl’s ‘The Twits’, will be excited when they see the precision that has gone into the construction of their prop.

production in May

autumn oranges painted

all for a good show

Written for: http://haibunthinking.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/haibun-thinking-week-13-april-15th-2014/

38 Responses to Haibun Thinking: Week 13 – The Monkey Cage

1. Suzanne says:

Great haibun. I was totally engaged with the story.

2. Great haibun but what exactly is a monkey cage for? Presumably not real monkey’s?

3. Miss Lou says:

I LOVE the twits and have the entire collection of R. Dahl’s books to read to my children. The Twits is hilarious after witches which was made into a rather amusing movie… *smiling just thinking about it*

The monkey cage is great! Wish I was closer so that I could actually view the production! (and take the kids)

ML
    x

4. Your stories are always engaging. I could see the brother working on the cage and the feel was like he was making the cage for an old fashion street performance.

5. Al says:

An excellent prop. It sounds like it was a great production 🙂

6. PookyH says:

Oh my goodness, it’s going to be amazing! The kids will love it. I was a huge Roald Dahl fan as a child (in fact I still am) and The Twits always made me laugh a lot!

7. JackieP says:

I’m not familiar with Dahl’s The Twits, I will have to read them myself as it sounds like a fun read. Really well done Haibun Michael.

8. this is great. I love The Twits. My granddaughter, who is five, got bored with picture books so they started on Raold Dahl’s books. The Twits brought up some hilarious interactions about my husband’s beard.

9. Your usual clever and well written creation, Sir ST2.
    AnElephant very much enjoys this piece.

10. A colourful story to match the pic my friend 🙂

11. Bastet says:

What a great haibun, the story seems so grounded in reality and loved the photo too which added more depth to the whole story.

12. aloha Michael. an excellent tribute to a terrific craftsman. well done. very cool that your brother’s work provides spin off inspiration. fun. aloha.

13. Brenda says:

Cool craftsmanship! What a fun business to be part of. Great haibun writing.