Friday Fictioneers – Goblins

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Our guides had warned us that any unwarranted noise could attract the Goblins of the Forest and that was not going to result in anything satisfactory.

It was single file until Carstairs tripped and fell.

Covered in the slime of the forest he struggled to his feet, looked around and looked startled at the two goblins sitting on a branch not five feet away.

They stopped their game of solitaire, wiped the slime that was accumulating on their lips and looked at Carstairs. Clearly repulsed they looked away, remarking to each other, that Carstairs was the ugliest of men creatures.

Written for: http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/28-march-2014/

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to Friday Fictioneers – Goblins

1. This week’s prompt seems to be bringing out some wonderfully humorous pieces of writing. I love that even goblins can’t resist the odd game of solitaire.

2. Funny piece. Each to their own, I guess. 🙂 After all, how could anyone be good looking without being covered in slime, right?

3. hate to think what they would have done if they found him attractive! All this from a pic of trees…aren’t our minds the most wondrous things. 🙂

4. Its all a matter of perspective. Good take on the prompt – I can imagine the goblins sitting on one of those branches 🙂

5. Sandra says:

Just the fact that the slime was ‘accumulating’ pushed this to a new level in gruesome. So very well done.

6. I guess either there’s something useful about being ugly or beauty is in the eye of the beholder troll…or both. 🙂 That was fun, Michael. So far it’s been a good day for non-horror stories. After the last few weeks, that’s good.

janet

7. helenmidgley says:

I loved the matter of fact rejection by the gremlins, great piece 🙂

8. Bryan Ens says:

nice twist…we rarely think of ourselves as hideous beasts to what WE consider hideous beasts

9. camgal says:

Goblins, Solitaire…nailed it lol 🙂 nice take on the prompt, hilarious!

10. Bastet says:

Lol…loved the humorous twist! Nice go!

11. Nan Falkner says:

So ugly? the gremlins don’t want to eat him. What a dastardly comment and not very nice either. Well, probably for the better. Thanks, Nan 🙂

12. draliman says:

Hee hee!
    Goblins are such misunderstood creatures.

13. Wow, you know you’re ugly when a goblin thinks you are ugly!

14. Dee says:

‘Accumulating slime’ what images it conjures up and I laughed out loud at the thought of Goblins playing solitaire. Well done you.

Dee

15. Linda Vernon says:

LOL! I love the name you chose tool Carstairs! Perfect!

16. Judah First says:

Nice! I was expecting him to be gobbled up! 🙂 I like your twist.

17. Darn. I had always assumed that goblins prefered to play angry bird… but it’s never too late to learn.

18. JackieP says:

Humans this week are not being treated very kindly. LOL I loved your take on this Michael, very entertaining.

19. What an imagination! Your grandchildren are so lucky!!

20. Good story. I guess to goblins we wouldn’t look that great. Everyone has their own idea of beauty. They seem to be rather sensible goblins. Maybe it’s their day off. Well done.

• I think Patricia, goblins are unique within themselves. Even if they play solitaire. I like the day off idea. And yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder isn’t it? Thank you so much for your comment.

21. I greatly enjoyed this piece. You set a very creepy scene, and when Carstairs tripped, I thought it was all over! Such an unexpected and humorous ending for the goblins to quickly dismiss him!

22. Interestingly, or otherwise, in Scotland Carstairs is a maximum-security psychiatric facility.
    Just saying, Sir ST2.
    But jolly good tale in spite of you letting slip about your heritage.

23. Sorchia D says:

Even goblins have standards, eh? Nice set up.

24. Amy Reese says:

Ha, this is fun, Michael. I love the image of goblins playing cards.

25. Great understatement in the first line. And such a clever story. Really turned the tables.

26. Hannah says:

Oh this was fun!

27. storydivamg says:

A fine spin on forest lore. I enjoyed the read.

Cheers!
    MG

28. See – ugliness and beauty is all relative.. Lovely tale!

29. hugmamma says:

Love your ending. Who says we humans are the…be all and end all. Love it!

30. atrm61 says:

Lol!Poor Carstairs-that fall was bad enough but the goblin’s comment was adding insult to the injury ;-)Those slime encrusted goblins need to be whacked on the head-playing a human game and berating one of that species-tch!tch!A “funtastic” take on the prompt Michael-loved it 🙂

31. Helena Hann-Basquiat says:

I guess goblins just want to be left alone. A humorous twist after the tense build up. Very nice.

32. liz young says:

Nice twist that the goblins were repulsed by him. A minor point – isn’t Solitaire by definition a solitary, one person, game?

• Excellent point Liz, you are the first person to pick me up on that. I wondered when anyone would comment to that effect, so you win the prize!!! Thank you so much for your excellent comment.

33. Sun says:

i’m loving the idea the goblins didn’t cause harm to poor Carstairs…maybe they’ll overlook his ugliness and start up a new friendship and a card game with him. 🙂

34. What fun! Thanks for a good story.