Haibun Thinking Week 8: Freestyle Week – Trophies

dreamman

I have you all now. My little darlings, all lined up like the soldiers you are.

We have made numerous journeys in all seasons to get to this place. Now I stand back and admire my handiwork, my trophies each lined beneath the perpetrators.

I have loved the rush you have each given me. The exhilaration of the moment when confronted and the inner fear I feel, not within me but within the one chosen. Like savouring the aroma of a feast, I feel my senses come alive as I look into their eyes, listen to their breathing, their pathetic pleas like a permission to end their misery. It is my harvest; I exult in my own plentifullness.

looking for the buds

gathered into my arms

life is tenuous.

Written for: http://haibunthinking.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/haibun-thinking-week-8-freestyle-week/

53 Responses to Haibun Thinking Week 8: Freestyle Week – Trophies

1. What are you an axe murderer or something? My little darling conjures up Silence of the Lambs for some reason, chilling Haibun and the Haiku is brilliant my friend.

2. JackieP says:

Interesting one today Michael. I really enjoyed it.

3. Al says:

That was interesting. I get either a murderer or a farmer πŸ™‚

4. Bastet says:

Hmmm very somber. At first I thought you were speaking of the passing of an age…then came the end of the third paragraph…and thought of harvesting, but know of no plants that have eyes and are breathing, this is a mystery to me..

5. RoSy says:

Oh my – Sounds serial killerish! 😯

6. julespaige says:

First I thought of a sports…but then the unique egotistical mind of, well that guy with the stained ax – I too watch too many Crime Scene mystery shows! πŸ˜‰

I’m a tad behind on visits… Thank you for your continued support and kind words.

7. Brenda says:

Michael, this one is revealed and yet hidden. My daughter plays hide and seek like that. It never fails to make me laugh. I hope your trophies are not grisly ones as others have joked. Cheers, Brenda

• I have decided to let my readers make their own decisions. Thank you Brenda for your comment. Am I right that you are a teacher too?

• Brenda says:

You don’t seem the grisly sort. Yes, I teach writing. πŸ™‚ And my children. πŸ™‚

• How fortunate writing is a great thing to teach I did enjoy doing that when I taught English classes. It’s a never ending journey writing. There is something new in every task. No I am not the grisly type so read mine as you see fit. I do have a story behind it but I like reading other responses to it. Enjoy the classroom.

• Brenda says:

I teach at the Senior Center, and I have a wonderful group of students with rich, amazing lives. I love them dearly, and I love teaching.

• It’s a great and wonderful game to be in. I was a teacher for 39 years and I am now enjoying retirement. I can recommend it.

• Brenda says:

Wow. That is something to be proud of. Is this a hint about your trophies? πŸ˜‰

• No not at all if you knew what I had in mind when I wrote that it’s a long way from school. In fact my haibun is a little exploration of an old internet joke. As in do you know who the person is you are talking to? A lot of my writing is an exploration of an idea. Often they can appear so real I do get people expressing sorry or happiness whatever I have written about.

• Brenda says:

So many people write from their own experience, whatever is happening in their life, that it seems callous to read and not respond to the emotion, especially sad emotion.

8. Anja says:

This is….interesting…..I am still not sure how to take it. I read others comments and I am with Jules where it comes across ego-filled. Then I read where you said it explores the thought of do you know who you are talking to on the internet….I then have no idea what the trophies would be.
    Sadly people build up their own esteem by many on the internet who they really do not know. People throw good comments and for some, they allow that to create how the feel about themselves and that is sad. We should have more confidence in ourselves to not need others (especially those we do not truly know) have say in how we feel about ourselves. That should come from ones self.

9. Good comment Anja and I agree we should have confidence in ourselves, and trust our instincts. Thank you for reading and your comment.

10. aloha SummersTommy2. a malevolent write. you bring it out well. I read a book recently about the 1893 Worlds Fair in Chicago called Devil in the White City. your write brings portions of this book to mind with clarity. aloha.

• Thanks Rick, don’t know the book you refer to but I am happy you saw the malevolent character in this. It seems to have bothered some reader but that is ok I am always keen yo see how people respond in their own different ways. Thanks so much. Please call me Michael.

• aloha Michael (just trying to get the shift in my head to set). yes, it is a write that bites. i can see the challenge in that tho. and it is certainly an element within the creatures that we are.

personally i think we are in a redefining stage around many forms. including haibun. so i think a little to a lot of leeway is in order when we experiment. there is a fascination with horror that runs through a lot of human beings.

Devil in the White City is well worth reading (imo). it is insightful to the times, and in some ways very reflective of our own altho the structure around us has shifted. we are still that human being species which has not changed all that much in a long time. i also found it amazing to look at the world around me (after reading the book) and spotting so many things easily which have come about and dawned as a result of that particular World’s Fair.

so. again. intriguing what your write has brought up on conversation. . . . aloha.

• Well I am pleased that I could generate this discussion. I shall the book up. The beauty of this age we can get books on our iPads even though not the same as a book in your hands it does allow me to carry around a few all at the one weight. I have to agree humans haven’t changed much and I don’t think will as long as our wanting things overrides our common sense. Humans to me are basically greedy and as long as that exists within us not lot will change.

11. gimpet says:

This sounds like a kinky way to cut fresh flowers..LOL!

12. Suzanne says:

Fascinating piece of writing – I love the comments that it has inspired too. Maybe you have lined up photos of your children or children you have taught?