Haibun Thinking: Week 2 – Mum’s Powl

This week there are two prompts I have chosen:

Gathering her brows like gathering storm, Nursing her wrath to keep it warm
Robert Burns

Mum is standing at he door, tapping her foot, its clear how agitated she is. It’s been over an hour since she called and Tommy hasn’t yet come in. There is one thing that irritates mum more than anything else and it’s keeping her waiting.

She has this way of tapping her foot, its her way of betraying her anger, added to that there is the face she pulls.

It’s a cross between a pout and a scowl. Jokingly we call it a powl.

But no one jokes now. Things are getting serious, as she has sent dad out to find him. Mum will only call once and then if we don’t come there’s a lot of answering to do. Tonight I look at her and as time stretches her face is telling me of her concerns. As much as we hate to see her worked up like now, I feel sorry for her, as she doesn’t deserve to be placed in a position like this. I don’t feel sorry for Tommy, as I know where he is, down at the pinball parlor with his mates, totally oblivious to the time.

I know mum is worried about him, I see it in her stance which is becoming more rounded the longer she stands there waiting.

Then she’s upright again, I sure with as much relief as her rising anger as dad and Tommy round the corner.

standing at the door

tapping foot, anger rising

relief he’s home now.

Written for: http://haibunthinking.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/haibun-thinking-week-2-january-28th-2014/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Haibun Thinking: Week 2 – Mum’s Powl

1. Gabriella says:

Nice haibun , Michael! We can only guess the context but I like what I can imagine.

2. I see, I dont think I can enter – I am catching up with so much here – my log book for instance 😦 i’ll read yours tonight 🙂

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 06:41:25 +0000 To: jenny-t@live.com.au

3. Al says:

This is me when I was in my teens I would finish my paper round and head straight down to the arcades. My mother would be soooo angry when I got home.

I like this I think you had the worry perfect, and the way she hides it behind her anger is excellent.

That has to be the experience of so many mothers. I know it was mine once (yes, only once).

5. Bastet says:

Poor mums…the way they worry for their children, yes even when they’re 40 years old…nice haibun Michael, loved it and will be working on mine to post either later or tomorrow.

6. How many of us have done this, been late home, or been the angry concerned parent. Like the title too, well done. 🙂

7. Nail on the head, old chap.
    Very neatly encapsulates the ‘joys’ of parenting.

8. You captured this moment brilliantly! And powl is such a cute term it made me laugh out loud! Looking forward to reading more of your stuff.

9. Anja says:

I know what it is like to be the worrying mom. You said your parenting days are over? My mom still stresses over me.

10. The universal mother. Your inscription is priceeless.

11. Linda Vernon says:

I remember being that mother. Wonderful Michael.

12. helenmidgley says:

I think we all have that T-Shirt, lol. Although that’s not what I tell my children 😉

13. Fantastic Haibun! Loved the imagery….. I can totally see her tapping her foot in fury! 🙂

14. Suzanne says:

What a strong voice this piece of writing has. The writing style is so assured. I can visualise the scene your write of clearly.

15. julespaige says:

Pinball, Tommy…wasn’t Tommy the pinball wizard of ‘The Who’ rock opera fame?
    That was my first thought. There is a powerful relief when children who are expected at one time don’t show up and then at least finally call. I can well imagine Mum’s face.

Thanks for your visit and kind words. ~Jules