D’verse – OpenLinkNight ~ Week 130 – Words

words-1

Sometimes language speaks to me

Through punctuation

Surreal moments when

Words will jump up,

Slap me in the face and say,

‘HEY YOU, LOOK AT ME!!!!

I am saying something

Something you will regret

Should you remain?

Unobservant.

Knuckle down

Concentrate, shut everything out

Look and learn

You’d be an ignoramus

If it wasn’t for us.’

I like those moments

When I am one with the world

Nature beckons

Your words

Dance

Thrilling me

Your language

Sings from your page.

Posted for; http://dversepoets.com/2014/01/28/openlinknight-week-130/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to D’verse – OpenLinkNight ~ Week 130 – Words

1. I hear you. Lead the way I will follow and lead the others. Well written I love the tone.

2. RoSy says:

Sometimes punctuation fails me…

3. Mary says:

It is interesting to think about the importance of punctuation. I think, in poetry, sometime we break rules (at least I do); but generally I know the rules I am breaking. LOL. And, yes, it would be interesting to know what words would have to say if they could speak.

4. Anja says:

Creative poem! Love it

5. That bit about –“The universe is stating It’s all right. your ignorance is astounding So hold my hand.”
    I Love, love, love it….
    love the whole bit.. thanks for sharing.
    Dee

6. JackieP says:

I can relate to this. Words have always fascinated me and I’m afraid there are many times I let them down. But I keep trying. Maybe one day they will approve.

7. Really profound, this is a favourite of yours!! 🙂 🙂

Ahhh, our old friend punctuation. Many years ago when I first began writing, my idea of punctuation was to throw a cup of commas into the air, and where they landed on the page, that was where they stayed 😀

• Hey what a good idea, but punctuation is a curse for many but you can’t really get by without it. One friend of mine doesn’t like question marks in poems? I don’t understand that one. Maybe I shall a poem one day about the virtues of punctuation, though I am sure it has already been done.

9. hisfirefly says:

the power words hold
    to hurt, heal, teach, comfort
    seduce…

10. I pout, as I very rarely go with what should be written – I do love a good !! though. I’m kinda with Lyn, throw em down see where they land, if they don’t look right to me, they’re out. Hmm did take note of the ? mark response too Mister 😉 Well done mate.

11. Gabriella says:

When I started writing essays in English, I realized punctuation was different from French usage. In poetry things are different as line breaks allow pauses in a way prose does not. Nice exploration of poetry writing, Michael!

12. I indeed, am sloppy with punctuation.. Line breaks work for me.. But for sure it would be good to master it. But still the importance is in the text, the words that jump at you . Glorious write Michael.

13. MarinaSofia says:

I love the way you barely use punctuation in this poem about punctuation. Or use it slyly.