D’verse – Poetics – On the Other Hand

I think my work has great merit.

I’m sorry sir your writing is lacking in depth.

I capture the raw essence of my subject,

We are confused by your artistic intention.

I will be published in the next two years

His work has only one audience, himself.

I handle my rejection slips

Usually with distain,

Publishers have no vision

Little understanding of the nuances

Contained within my work.

They will never deter me

I am focused, my vision clear

I will produce any day now

The ultimate artistic statement.

We meet weekly, we reject his work

He has no vision, no focus

His words are often misused,

We feel there is little literary merit.

He is persistent we grant him that,

Shame he has never listen, heeded our advice

Not sure if he is maybe intellectually impaired

His language is infantile to say the least.

This piece will set their hearts on fire

Does this man have another job?

My use of metaphor is beyond measure

He is clearly confused by poetic convention.

I am on my way now, an anthology beckons,

Over my dead body will I publish this drivel.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/01/25/poetics-on-the-other-hand/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to D’verse – Poetics – On the Other Hand

1. Oh so the 2 sides – what we feel and who we are as writers compared to others interpretation of what we do – nicely done mate. 🙂

2. JackieP says:

That’s exactly how I feel would happen to me if I sent my work in. 🙂

3. Bodhirose says:

Aw man…that’s rough. But very good in using Mary’s prompt……nice comparison.

4. Harsh but accurate of how the results of this creative process is often received I think – well done!! 🙂 🙂

5. Oh I know the reason to self publicize 😉 but these rejections would make a writer even more persistent…

6. Gabriella says:

The two sides feel a bit extreme and so made me smile. I am glad I have no desire to be published so will never feel the pangs of literary rejection. “His work has only one audience, himself.” – this is a very good line!

7. Mary says:

So very true that oftentimes a person has a different opinion of his or her work than the other reading it. This is fine, I suppose, unless someone tries to publish. I am all for self publishing, for one’ own purposes. Easier that way and one does not deal with rejection.

8. alan1704 says:

This is great and oh that rejection, so cruel and hurtful. Great write, love the honesty and the openness.

9. Al says:

Glad it isn’t a reality for you. It is what I fear though

10. Laurie Kolp says:

This cracks me up only b/c I can so relate!

11. Anja says:

hahaha oh so true in many areas of life

12. I’m sure there are many meetings like this. Sad but a reality some of us must face. I don’t hink your writing will get such harsh criticism. 🙂

13. RoSy says:

In my world of imagination – I’m an artist. And – I am my best audience. It doesn’t pay the bills. But – it pays happiness in my heart.

LOL this is hilarious – loved it 😀