Australia Day

australia

Today 26th January,

Is marked as our national day.

In 1788 the first fleet arrived.

Boatloads of England’s most undesirable

Send never to return,

Good riddance they said, and were forgotten.

Never did they imagine

From such humble beginnings

This great nation would emerge.

We have our skeletons,

Our treatment of our indigenous people

Leaves much to be desired

Our sins against them

In need of more than ‘sorry’.

Change is happening,

Many wonderful people working

To lift their health, levels of education

Preserve their precious heritage.

We are resource rich, evidenced

By massive scars in our landscape

As those precious metals

Are purged from the earth

In the pursuit of the holy dollar.

Massive trains roll past my street,

Carrying these resources

Away to foreign countries

Leaving nothing in their wake.

We compete on the world stage

In all areas of pursuit.

Our writers, sportsmen, artists,

Are known in every country.

We are indeed a lucky country

But we must guard against decimating it

And leaving little for future generations.

Nor should we forget the poor

Not everyone is ‘lucky’

We must care for them.

Who would have thought?

That first day on the shores of Sydney Cove

With bush all around,

Prospects dim to say the least,

That through the blood sweat

And tears of those early settlers

The Australia of today

Evolved, with its unique character,

Personalities, and way of life.

We are blessed.

Happy Australia Day.

Australia-flag

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Australia Day

1. gimpet says:

What a beautiful tribute to your country…..

2. niasunset says:

Happy Australia Day, this was so proud of. Thank you, love, nia

3. PookyH says:

Happy Australia Day! I had no idea… thanks for teaching me 🙂

• You Poms so easily forget…..lol…..thanks Pooky, have a great day yourself.

• PookyH says:

Yeah I know. We’re an awful bunch. Sorry about that.. It’s just that London’s the centre of the universe so no need to know about anywhere else… 😉

• Yes I know but you did us a great favour, look what we have now, and no chains…..how good is that? Plus and the best bit is we just THRASHED you in the cricket, the world is now back in balance.

• PookyH says:

I think ‘thrashed’ is probably an understatement….

• Any way you look at it was good for us but disappointing for your guys, I did expect more than a token effort.
        But the existence of the old colonial rivalry is still strong.
        Another one day game today. Good your boys won on Friday. See how they go today. I wonder if we will play our reserve grade team again today?

• PookyH says:

I’ve completely stopped following it. It’s simply too depressing!

• Not for us, but I do see your point. I was never that excited when we were beaten every game.

• PookyH says:

No, I’m a bit of a fairweather sports fan at the best of times and I don’t have TV….

I’m glad you’re enjoying it though! There is no nicer game that cricket on a beautiful day. I spent many a long sunday sitting in the cricket pavilion at school whilst our first team played.

4. Happy Australia Day! Thanks for sharing such a cool poem and info! 🙂

5. and a Happy Australia Day to you to my friend! This was wonderfully written, showing our heritage and what we have grown to be – a nation – a country proud and tall – long may we/it continue ~ we are truly blessed indeed compared to some countries. Waves the flag…(if I had one) 🙂

6. charlypriest says:

And this is an interesting fact, thanks for sharing.

Seems the undesirables became the desirables.

7. Happy Australian day, I didn’t read yesterday so I hope you had a wonderful celebration. Your words are an excellent praise.

8. RoSy says:

Hap, Hap, Happy (Belated) Australia Day!
    A day late (your time zone) – I know…but – I wish you happy days every day. 🙂