victoria-day-florence-moosengale1

Edith stood back and looked at her efforts; surely this year hers would be the best dressed moose in town.

What with mum’s best beads and grandma’s best hat it had to be a winner. After all she wasn’t going to let Ursula Jenkins win for another year. The woman just plain went over the top the way she dressed up her moose.

The art of dressing a moose was a skill in taste and decorum and Edith knew she had just what it took.

A well-dressed moose stood out, was noticed, was never audacious was always within the realm of decency.

What a shock and surprise they were all in for, she thought, when she turned up with her moose this year. Though not a big a surprise as grandad was going to get when he saw what she had done with his best pants.

In 25 words or less, tell a story about this leprechaun – beginning, middle and end.

img_20160802_1659432351

A bit of blarney stone shaped as his head and a few pipe cleaners.

Standing in mum’s garden, ready for the elusive pot of gold.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/finish-off-fridays-10-the-dress-off-17-03-17/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Finish off Fridays #10: the dress off 17.03.17 – The Well Dressed Moose + The Leprachaun

1. wordwitch88 says:

LOL -well, it’s a day late for you, but Happy Saint Patty’s Day none the less – and may your tongue and pen, really, your pen, always be sweetened by the gift and blessings of the Blarney Stone Michael 😉 🍀

[that’s supposed to be a shamrock!]

Great little tales here – love the line about grandad’s pants! Indeed, a moose should be dressed with decorum and taste 😉

2. Lorraine says:

Two charming tales, Michael. I don’t think I’d like to be Edith with granddad goes looking for his green pants for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade. But, the moose is indeed the image of decorum.
    Hope your leprechaun hasn’t long to wait for his pot of gold!
    Thanks so for participating with two smiler tales.

Over here you know as Irish as we all are we have never celebrated st pats day the way you folk do.. just another day around here.

• Lorraine says:

I was taking the train today, and there were a steady stream of green on the trains into the city. Mostly young folk, with green tattoos, dealiboppers with shamrocks, green baseball caps and team shirts. All off to the big city parade and the drunken silliness that follows. North Americans do get quite caught up in St. Pat.’s and the wearing of the green. Was a large Irish immigration to N. America — and a lot went to the big city. But today, everyone as the saying goes is Irish. (Or stereotypical Irish).

Well as fate would have it my great grandfather after fighting in the Civil war returned to Ireland, married my great grandmother and as they were so poor came to Aust as he had a brother here…hence here we are…

• Lorraine says:

That’s fascinating. I often wonder how folks end up where they do. Nice that you have a sense of your ancestry.
        Not long ago I was listening to a discussion about the Irish fighting in the Civil War — for the north and the south. Side you fought for often determined by the port you arrived in during the war. Given a gun, uniform, and told to fight.
        Not a drop of Irish blood in me. My sister in law is going to have that DNA test done to see what her heritage is — she is from Sicily that has been taken over many times.

Oh well Lorraine you might have just hatched one day and there you are now…..lol……one of my cousins some years ago applied to the US govt for a headstone for our great grandfather and eventually we received one and had a little ceremony at the cemetery where he is buried.

• Lorraine says:

That’s neat about the headstone. Did he fight for the north or the south — just being curious.
        As to hatching — my father said I was spawned, and he was disappointed as he wanted puppies, not a child. Hatching makes sense, except I looked like my Dad until my 40s, then I started to look like my mother’s side of the family, and eventually my mother.

He fought for the north….one of the Massachusetts regiments….lol…we d change don’t we…much to my surprise I look far more like my dad than I ever believed until I saw photos of the two of us…

• Lorraine says:

Yes, it is funny. When I was younger, every one said I looked like my dad, and his side of the family. As I aged, I looked more like my mother’s side of the family. There is a wrinkle (I can it a crinkle) we all get on our right side. A picture of my mother, her sister, and their mother and me would show the family resemblance. My mother looked more like her sister as she grew older.

My dad looked like his mum not his dad…some members of his family looked like his mother’s family more so than their own parents…

• Lorraine says:

Genetics are strange image makers. Of the 5 siblings in my husband’s family — 4 look alike — almost twins in some cases, while one looks like he must have been adopted. Looks like neither parents — harks back to his father’s side. Way back.

yEs your right..my older brother looks like no one in the family until one day we found a photo of dad’s long lost uncle and there was my brother…

• Lorraine says:

It is strange how these things work. As an only, I have no sibling comparisons. One of my cousins looks so much like my mother, she could be her daughter, not her niece. Seeing a picture, my nasty grandmother assumed the cousin was my mother’s “love child” being raised by my aunt. That’s kind of mind my evil grandmother had.