FFfAW – Week of January 12, 2016 – Casey’s Pool Table

photo-20160111132111179

The pool table in Casey’s Bar was always a challenge.

Not only was the floor not square but Casey’s father had made the table with one side’s legs three millimetres shorter than the other side. Hence the table always looked like it was on a slope, which always presented an extra challenge on comp nights.

Casey argued that pool could be equated with golf in that he’d never seen a flat golf course and why couldn’t his pool table be slightly out of square.

One comp night the team from O’Flanagan’s pub, a really unpleasant mob of blokes, complained about the table, said it was unfair, unjust, not pool and as such they weren’t going to play. They made their stand and awaited our response.

Without a moments hesitation Casey wrote up forfeit on the score board and ordered us a round of drinks leaving the O’Flanagan’s snookered, so to speak.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/fffaw-week-of-january-12-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to FFfAW – Week of January 12, 2016 – Casey’s Pool Table

1. samratkel says:

Brilliant word play at work here!!

2. LOL! Loved how Casey took care of the the O’Flanagan’s “unpleasant mob of blokes” (leaving them snookered!) and bought a round of drinks for his team. First of all it’s funny that the pool table was made to be unlevel. Haha! Loved your wording!

3. justmaria says:

I don’t play billiards but that does pose a challenge when most of the balls are rolling to the other side of the pool table! 😀 Nicely done tale. 🙂

4. Nice play on words/pun at the end.
    Maybe I’ve always played on Casey-style tables explaining how horrible a pool player I am.

5. Love the idea that a table was not even meant to be level! A great story 🙂

6. Graham Lawrence says:

I like a good pun. Well done!

7. Etol Bagam says:

Haha. When I saw the picture posted yesterday I thought “Oops. I should have at least straightened it up before sending to PJ.” But it seems for you the skewed view served as inspiration? Nice story.”

8. Great story! I love the whole idea of the crooked pool table.

9. mandibelle16 says:

Haha. Good for Casey. I guess you have to roll with punches and play pool despite having handicaps to your game. A good pool player will pick on these differences to a normal pool day and do well. Too bad these guys wouldn’t try. Great job Michael.

10. Martin Flux says:

Well, you don’t mess with Casey, or he’ll snooker you all! 🙂 Love the idea of slanted floor.

11. Oliana says:

I love your stories, Michael! This one put a big smile on my face just as I am finished my work week:)

12. jademwong says:

Ha! I had fun picturing the balls constantly rolling to one side on the lopsided table. Great word play too!

13. luckyjc007 says:

Good for Casey for taking care of the unpleasant mob of blokes! If they don’t like the pool table, they should stay out. After all, if it is crooked for one team, it’s just as crooked for the other! Great story, and nice pun! 🙂

14. ivaberanek says:

Love the idea of the pool table resembling a golf course – very inventive!

15. Now that I read this, the picture starts to look crooked in my eyes. Good work.