Poetics on DMT – Dreamlike

teary-dreams-abstract-alexander-butler

Images confused, confusing

Known locations, some mysterious

People flit in and out,

Childhood neighbours with string nipples

Past students appear as if I should know.

So much instantly forgotten.

I wade, against a raging torrent

Watched by wondrous watchers

Why they ask, I know why.

My goal I see,

Determined, resolute

No going back.

Black dog chases me,

Terror, fear, legs running

Get away, run, run, run

It’s close, run, closer, run, run, run,

Whoooomp!!!!!

Ears ringing

Awake, sweating, fearful

Breathing, calming

Stop thinking.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/07/29/poetics-on-dmt/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Poetics on DMT – Dreamlike

1. JackieP says:

Well, I would say that fits the prompt. Scary things sometimes happen in dreams. But, what would happen if we couldn’t wake up from it? Our new reality? Hmm
    Well done Michael.

2. brian miller says:

geez…if the black dog is chasing me, i def want to stop thinking…cant remember the symbolism of the black dog in dreams…i got chased by a dobberman once as a preteen…he treed us and kept us there for hours…def a scary moment in my childhood…pinch yourself man…time to wake up…smiles.

3. Gabriella says:

I was once chased by a big dog too and it definitely was a nightmarish experience! I am thankful that students do not appear too often in my dreams. When they do it is often the end of August. I enjoyed the peek into your dreams, Michael.

4. bad thoughts stay away, that’s what I say…the black dog reminded me of a dog I had as a kid, well it was more my dad’s really; it was fine when it was a puppy, but as it got older, it was very vicious… I had to go in the room and shut the door when he let it out… Talk about having a good pet… ugh

5. loved this dream and ‘watched by wondrous watchers’ is a very cool line K

6. Grace says:

It’s a nightmare for me when anything like a big dog chases me ~ Or finding I missed a subject then I can’t graduate (when I actually did) ~ Good one Michael ~

7. RoSy says:

It not making sense makes sense to me – just like a dream! 🙂

8. Truedessa says:

hmm..interesting dream here..if that dog comes chasing again..put on your running shoes..

9. Sounds like a few are involved here. Being chased by a black dog apparently implies that you are refusing to acknowledge your stubbornness ..hmm surely not ~ smiles

10. Dreams of chaos are the worst kind i imagine..and often the result of a life truly spent in thoughts too much..but i find when i turn the TV off..and sit outside..and well don’t go to work..a s i don’t that anymore…

the only thing i hear in dreams..

is the sound of poetry
    and birds
    sing!
    smiles and have a great day2!:)1

Dreams can be freaky sometimes that’s for sure. For years when I was a kid, I had the same dream about dogs. They could read your mind, and if they touched you with their nose you died. Their nose were shaped like the old fashioned gas mask with the flat end with holes in it. You could – if you were lucky – peel the end off their nose to get away from them, but it grew again the next day. I’d wake up terrified.

12. AZ Gringa says:

“Whoooomp!!!!!”

This makes me think of that feeling
    you sometimes have in dreaming
    as if you are falling
    very fast
    and then
    suddenly
    HIT THE GROUND!
    and you’re awake

A snake/lizard creature with sabre-like teeth chased me through my dreams for years until the day I decided (in my dream) that I wasn’t running anymore. I confronted it. It lost its teeth, became feeble and slow. I never see it anymore.

• That’s a wonderful dream story, confronting a terror like you say has often brought about positive reactions. A friend of mine did that with a real life terror with the same result. Thanks so much for reading and your comment.

13. A black dog sounds like the grim.. Take it careful my friend.. Marvelous cadence in this piece.

14. Very symbolic dream–I feel you resolving the day, then the fear of aggression and attempting to escape. It was very much like a true dream state.

15. Linda Rogers says:

Love the symbols in your dream and all the action. I hate when I have dreams of being chased and feel I can’t get to a safe place. Cool poem that was a fun read.