Magpie Tales – Another Hand

framptonmeredithagameofpatience1937

Image: A Game Of Patience, 1937, Meredith Frampton

I expect him any minute

My gaze takes in the street

It’s desolate in the heat haze.

Any minute now…..

I have had that thought

The past four hours.

He must be delayed,

I have missed him so much.

He said it was the last engagement

One more they had told him

Then he would be homebound.

That was……

He is a punctual man

Never late, has pride he says.

Maybe the train? He is ill?

I feel weighed down by the wondering.

The king looks up me

Silent in his message

If I look away,

Denial enables another hand.

Written for: http://magpietales.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/mag-226.html

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Magpie Tales – Another Hand

1. JackieP says:

Denial makes one hold on just a little longer. Great story Michael.

2. Cheryl-Lynn says:

As usual just a tad of suspense to make it interesting…denial? So believable. Great poem for this awesome painting.

3. danadampier says:

Denial keeps her waiting… and playing. I love your poem!

4. Written well for the picture Michael, also the suspense of wondering what happened.

5. she does look sort of worried. you can see it more in the smaller size. does he arrive? hmmm mysteries.

6. Cait says:

I love your poem. I thought she was waiting for a man too.

What a wonderful tale, Michael. So perfect for the picture!

8. You really capture a sense of grasping at straws, any straw, when paralyzed by fear over the delay of a loved one. Terribly effective!

9. Jinksy says:

Never pays to read the cards for yourself…

10. kay says:

i like the suspense in this work…nice

11. 999edsnews says:

Makes us want him to turn up soon for her
    Nice build up of tension.
    Well written ~ Eddie

please click on this link
    Clouds and Silvery Linings

12. I love the dreaded feel to this. Here’s hoping she won’t be playing Solitaire for long!

13. Karen S. says:

Oh it can be long, but oh how the waiting game can bring us joy.

14. RoSy says:

I wonder..
    Did she play most of that in her head.
    Or – has something gone wrong?
    Oh no!

15. Truedessa says:

Denial only time will tell…nicely written..leaves a few questions lingering in the readers mind.

16. Oh, that kind of waiting is just the pits… I want to know the outcome now! Glad you joined in! Lovely pom, Michael.