MeetingTheBar ~ When words fail – Rising Frustration.

frustration

How many times was it?

I explain.

I set out reasons.

You say, ‘What?

What exactly do you mean?’

I’m sometimes stuck.

What seems obvious you don’t understand

You want a minute analysis

Words chosen with care

So you are not confused

Or rather you feel I have explained myself

Made clear my intention

Left nothing in ambiguity.

Frustration mounts

Anger rises

Its plain to me

Why so frustrating

In translation to you?

There’s truth I now know

In not confusing a stupid person!

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/06/05/meetingthebar-when-words-fail/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to MeetingTheBar ~ When words fail – Rising Frustration.

1. JackieP says:

Sometimes there are no words to explain to someone if they don’t want to listen. I surely know that one! Great use of the prompt Michael.

2. brian miller says:

the unability to communicate…or for them to understand what you are saying…especially when you make it as pain as you can…and they can not get it…i have been there as well…

3. kaykuala says:

Talking to a blank wall can be frustrating. But sometimes they just refuse to listen. That’s when one takes a walk! Nicely Michael!

Hank

4. claudia says:

oh it is frustrating and painful when you already do your best to explain something and the person just doesn’t understand – for whatever reason – maybe they really cannot – maybe they don’t want to

5. Yes something I think at times we all can relate to…particularly when you know as you say you’re not confusing a stupid person…sometimes they just don’t want to understand.

6. Larry says:

It’s none of my business, but I’ll ask anyway – what prompted this write? It seems so personal.

7. CC Champagne says:

Don’t tell my mother I said this, but this so very well expresses how I sometimes feel when I try to talk to her… Not that she’s stupid, but we have two completely different forms of logic that just won’t mesh… Ahhhh… Reading this is a breath of fresh air! Thank you!

8. Mary says:

This is interesting, Michael. Sometimes a person tries as hard as they can to explain, but the other person doesn’t really GET it. I do know people like this. People who seem to be on different wave lengths completely. Both intelligent people, but it seems their brains are wired differently. And communication CAN be frustrating indeed.

9. Bastet says:

There are just times when no amout of words will create understanding…if the will to understand isn’t there or if their worlds are so far apart that understanding is impossible.

10. Oh! I have been there, felt that frustration when you believe your explanation/statement/reasoning is crystal clear but lost in translation. The painting is a good complement to the poem, by the way.

11. This frustration.. To try to explain – to communicate on totally different levels.. (and you have been a teacher 😉 ) but the worst cases are when feelings build barriers between us.

12. Gabriella says:

You have expressed the frustration we may feel with someone who just cannot or does not want – I guess it varies with people – to understand in a very powerful way.

13. Like talking to a toddler… but at least they have a good excuse.

14. Your evocation of the frustration of trying to communicate with someone who can’t or won’t understand is absolutely brilliant. I have been there, felt like that.

15. Bryan Ens says:

So frustrating when they’re is some sort of barrier that prevents us from communicating our thoughts with someone else

16. RoSy says:

If one person is closed to the conversation or simply doesn’t want to hear it – the conversation goes nowhere or somewhere not wanted really fast.