Poetry Prompt 31 – Apology

write-a-poem-which-makes-an-apology-you_ve-always-regretted-not-making

I watched you from a far

Safe in my haven, my comfort zone

I knew you needed help but I looked the other way.

I know I could have done more but I didn’t

I watched you fumble, stumble, fall down.

I’ve asked myself so many times

Why didn’t I help, what as I thinking?

You deserved so much more than my indifference.

I think it was fear, the unknown,

I was quite young back then,

Unschooled in the ways of the world

Shut off from the harsh world of reality.

But that I ignored your calls has haunted me

‘You’ll need help one day.’

This has echoed in my mind ever since.

You are probably long dead now

A distant but vivid memory

I never knew your name

I never saw you again

But I am sorry for my feigned apathy

I looked away, scared, inept

I am sorry.

Written for: http://pookypoetry.wordpress.com/2014/05/31/poetry-prompt-31-apology/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Poetry Prompt 31 – Apology

1. PookyH says:

This is exactly as I imagined a response to this prompt might be and I’m glad to think it’s not just me that has those moments that play over and over in my mind for years which I beat myself up over but which may seem inconsequential to others. You captured these feelings beautifully. DO you feel better for sharing?

2. Gabriella says:

Sometimes our failures to act can weigh on us more heavily than real actions. You expressed this well.

3. This is so sad, Michael. Perhaps this prompt can enable you to forgive yourself and let it go…guilt is such a terrible emotion good for the trash…it eats at you.

4. wbdeejay says:

Very Touching Michael.

5. RoSy says:

ooOoh – I would so have had a hard time with a prompt like this. Long story short – apologies & I don’t mesh. I prefer the simply move on method.

• That’s a fascinating response RoSy, the subject of a good chat over cup of tea that one. We all deal with such things in our ways though, so if it works for you then go for it.

6. Larry says:

I believe an honest, heartfelt apology is one of the greatest gifts to give and to receive. it shows strength of character by he or she who gives it as well as he or she who gratiously receives it. I admire a person who can apologize. In my opinion it is one of those “must have” things in a lasting relationship. Some people think apologies show weakness. I do not, not when it is warranted. Good writing here!

7. JackieP says:

Well done Michael. A good apology can go far even if the thing we are apologizing for happened long past. We might not be able to apologize to the person directly, but I still think it makes a difference within ourselves.

Apologies are so important between friends and families. Lack of an apology can destroy a friendship or a relationship in a family. Not just between the two people involved, but everyone else as well. A beautiful poem, Michael!