Friday Fictioneers – End of the Line

adamickes-boardwalk

The boardwalk was the end of the line.

You didn’t have to tell people. They just knew.

It was eerie standing at one end knowing that in the distance was the last stop.

It was a place you would often come upon by mistake, it might just pop up. Or it may call you up some months in advance, let you know an appointment had been made and to be ready.

Its saving grace was the small reception area, a red covered airy room. There you met your guide, a friendly godlike person. They greeted you, took your hand and….

Written for: http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/14-march-2014/

This entry was posted in Friday Fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Friday Fictioneers – End of the Line

1. JackieP says:

Now that’s a nice thought Michael, they just took your hand and off you go. Peaceful.

2. Al says:

That’s really peaceful and nice.

3. It puts a completely different spin on the photo. Nicely done.

4. I’m with the others, how nice it would be (in a way) to be surrounded by beauty and the blue skies and then just…drift. Very clever my friend.

5. Adam Ickes says:

A nice way to go. Far better than the end a lot of my characters get.

6. Oh, Michael, that “and…” Ooh, that leaves me hanging and hoping it’s good. Well done!

7. draliman says:

It must be nice and peaceful, to wander across that little bridge in the sun towards “reception” – a nice quiet journey at the end.

8. Sandra says:

Very strong piece. Enjoyed this.

9. Your story built beautifully to a bittersweet ending, Michael. Well done.

10. Bastet says:

Liked your story….it’d be a great way to go and accompanied by a friendly guide too.

11. I particularly like the way you used the third paragraph. It was subtle and gentle enough to fit in with the rest of the story. I also like your use of the waiting room. If you don’t mind, the grammar side of me wants to suggest that here, “You didn’t have to tell people they just knew”, you either make two sentences or use a semi-colon, so that you don’t have two sentences just stuck together and you’ll also get the pause that I think it calls for. 🙂

Off to have some breakfast.

janet

12. JudahFirst says:

I almost ended mine with a sort of drop-off. This picture seems to lend itself to that effect. Nice job!

13. a waiting room… wonder how you know you are there.. there is a gentleness in this I really like .. one of your best

14. RoSy says:

Well – I guess when it’s our time – it’s our time. I hope there’s someone to guide me when my time comes.

15. A piece of writing that left me feeling calm. 🙂

16. Dear Michael,

Lovely piece of crossing over. I hope to me much like that. Nicely done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

17. This has a delicate but confident feel to it – nicely captured

18. A lovely and calm view of life continuing in the beyond. Well done.

19. Amy Reese says:

Ah, nice Michael. Reading this was calming and peaceful. Very serene. Great story!

20. atrm61 says:

A thought provoking piece Michael-loved the idea of someone waiting to guide us and that it is swift and peaceful -hopefully when the time comes,it will be so in reality too 🙂

21. Sun says:

love that the waiting room overlooks a natural scenery…hopefully our furry animals can come along and let’s hope there is ice cream at the next destination. 🙂

22. Sarah Ann says:

If only all endings were as peaceful as you’ve painted. This is beautifully touching.

23. Nan Falkner says: