Sunday Photo Fiction – Sentinels.

47-02-february-16th-2014

This is a great job. When I was a chick my mother said my boy you are destined to follow in the claws of those males in our family before you. You will grace the lawns, standing sentinel over the precious grasses where no human is to ever step. So my fate was sealed at a young age. The pays ok and I have over the years moved up the ranks. You notice my rings, the ones around my ankles. Red symbolises Raven First Class. Better than the prissy pink ones the recruits have to wear. I hated that year, constant abuse and ridicule over the pink. But it did toughen me up.

Then there’s the green the second years wear, that’s not too bad, but every one has an ambition to achieve the gold bands of course.

The gold is the top of the pecking order. We all aspire to reach the gold. My dad was a gold, my brother Errol is a turquoise. One step below gold.

This job is a proud tradition in our family.

Sorry have to be off there’s a kid over there about to drop his ice cream on the sacred grass. CAW! CAW!

Written for: http://sundayphotofictioner.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/sunday-photo-fiction-february-15th-2014/

This entry was posted in Photo Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Sunday Photo Fiction – Sentinels.

1. Sarah Ann says:

Really enjoyed your bird’s POV.

2. Gabriella says:

Funny perspective and the closing line is just perfect!

3. Liked the way you picked up on the leg bands. A proud tradition indeed, guarding the sacred lawn ..hmmm lucky it’ a Raven & not a crow or the last two words would have sounded a bit different… 🙂

4. Miss Lou says:

I’m impressed you got that from the picture – however it is not entirely unexpected as wonderful as you are at writing about any manner of subjects so eloquently….

Great references to the bands, enjoyed it entirely.

Thanks for sharing!

ML
    x

I’ve always loved the legend of the Ravens in the Tower of London. There is so much you can do with it. The idea of one of them standing guard over the lawns is great. The rankings of the Ravens is a clever idea, Michael 😀

6. Very clever and humorous treatment of the photo. I enjoyed the voice of the raven.

7. Very funny. I love all these submissions from the birds point of view.

8. JackieP says:

Very clever Michael. I enjoyed it. Especially the last line.

9. This is a great read, Michael. Not only for the humour but for the clever play with words. Loved it!

10. EagleAye says:

Love the descriptions of the rankings. It makes sense for Ravens to aspire to higher positions. It was fun getting into the head of a Raven.

11. J. Raven says:

Love how you wove in the heirarchy of the guard! Nicely done!

12. Bastet says:

What a great story.! It was cool getting the birds eye view as it were!

13. misskzebra says:

Good work, like the others have said, the last line made me smile!

14. Al says:

That’s excellent 🙂 The fact that they have to earn their bands 😀 I loved it

15. He’s doing an excellent job he will have his gold rings in no time.