Poem 32

art 14

As far as the eye could see

the pelts were stretched out

like washing on a line

drying in the hot summer sun.

Soon they would be collected

carried off to the tanners

then to a factory in Asia

where fine coats for fine ladies would be made.

Colours added, skins shaped

the identity of the beast

who once wore it,

lost forever.

Whether for fashion or warmth

the beast who gave up his life and skin

need not have suffered

could have lived.

But commercial interests

outweigh natures needs.

what to do

when no furry beasts exist.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Poem 32

1. I wore a real red fox for years – then when it became unfashionable I tucked it away, then threw it out as I learnt how these animals were killed, just to make us look pretty. What is with that concept, that we have the right to end an animals life to beautify our bodies…to hell with that I say. Hope this brings up discussion and well done bringing out the topic in your writing 🙂

2. Cubby says:

Such a sad reality. The cost of fashion is much too high, especially when it is animals that pay the price. You express this so well in your poem.

3. Anja says:

Yikes…I have always been anti-fur so this made me cringe. Very good piece and your art made me think of a quilt. Still waiting to see you use paint. 🙂

4. An important message brought home very effectively!! 🙂 🙂

5. PookyH says:

This was very vivid and made for uncomfortable reading. But I think that’s a good thing given it’s such an important topic and one to tackle head on rather than shy away from.

• Thank Pooky, I have to admit the drawing came first and reminded me of the images of hundreds of skins drying in the sun. Thanks for the great comment.

• PookyH says:

I love how you have images to go with your poetry. I wish I had a talent for art. I’d particularly like to be able to illustrate my kids’ poems!

• Look closely Pooky, I don’t have a lot of talent either, unlike my now famous son, but I receive a lot of encouragement from a friend to try my hand at it, so I am, but I have mixed feelings about what I do. Give it a go, see what happens.

6. RoSy says:

Good message.
    Some fashions are overrated. Fur would be one of them.

7. Gabriella says:

Great poem Michael! Fur has never appealed to me.