Weekend Writing Prompt #13 – Light

PIA19354

Image: Google: Labelled for re-use

I’d lived in darkness so long.

My past was abuse and ridicule.

When I met, you I thought you like everyone else wouldn’t care who I was.

But you persevered, hung in there, giving me the opportunity to talk.

Initially, there was much to stay hidden in shadows, so much I was ashamed of, so much better not mentioned.

It was the day you came out and asked me what happened to you that I stopped what we were doing.

Until then everything was superficial, I felt safe.

Your question was confronting. I pulled back, turned off my computer.

Did I want you to know?

It took me three days to get back to you.

I found three messages from you asking if I was ok.

For the first time in my life, I started my answer: “Here is my story..”

You didn’t judge but answered it was ok and I was not alone.

Like a light in the distance, you showed me a path I am happy travelling.

Written for: https://sammiscribbles.wordpress.com/2017/07/29/weekend-writing-prompt-13-light/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekend Writing Prompt #13 – Light

1. Dewin Nefol says:

Hey Michael,

Love and Trust – the keystones of friendship – when found, these are treasures making a man a King…without them we are paupers adrift on islands.

I found the honesty in your poem very emotive, thank you 🙂 I might also comet on the photograph but you’ve already captured the essence of its meaning far better than I.

Hoping all is swell in the bottomless well of life. Enjoy a wonderful Sunday afternoon. Take care 🙂

Namaste 🙂

DN

Thank you Dewin, that’s a lovely comment, all is good in my part of the world, Sunday evening getting close to bed time..

• Dewin Nefol says:

My pleasure, thank you for the poem and reply. Always good to hear all’s well with a fellow Blogger 🙂

Oh it’s still Sunday evening – sorry Michael, these time zones addle my mind – then I shall bid thee ‘Nos da’ from my small corner of Wales, UK and leave you to lullaby.

Namaste 🙂

DN

You know but today I was watching Hinterland a crime series set in Wales…small world isn’t it..

• Dewin Nefol says:

🙂 Indeed it is Michael, ever smaller still when Spirit moves our world in synchronistic ways 🙂

Hinterland is a series I greatly appreciated: its ‘mis-en-scene’ is distinctly aligned to the Welsh landscape and traditional ways of Welsh life, and it holds very true to both of these fundamental aspects. I believe it is set in West Wales within Carmarthenshire…itself a breath-taking enchanted land where when alone on a hilltop one can hear angels sing. Well worth a visit should opportunity ever present itself.

Namaste 🙂

DN

2. Dewin Nefol says:

Hey Michael,

Having just read your ‘About’ – I find further demonstration of synchronicity that ties your past career together with Hinterland our ‘meeting’ and Wales. It is a curiosity to ponder. I work on the second floor of an office block that adjuncts a popular local Theatre. My desk occupies a space next to the window with the Theatre roof spanning away at eye-level. It is called The Doleman Theatre. I am tethered to my desk,weathered by disinterest, and buried under paperwork, left resting in pieces, and spend much of my time gazing out of the window at the birds, passing clouds, and wind-turbines turning in the distance. This is my Dull Man’s Theatre 🙂

I have written an extensive poem published on my Blog and had passing thought to approach the Theatre for consideration of its suitability for adaptation. Perhaps I should be bold and consider it further? Our ‘meeting’ has got me thinking 🙂 Spirit moves in mysterious ways!

Nos da. Namaste 🙂

DN

And why not? When I was writing song and musical it was about giving dimension to the words I was writing. An adaptation can lead you to all sorts of places, some you haven’t maybe thought of.
      I wrote a whole bunch of performance pieces and expected my actors to make them their own. I didn’t always agree but their response was always what I expected. It’s what might happen to your poem, therefore you have to be happy to let it go and see what magic others may create from it.
      I think it’s a great process to watch happen.

• Dewin Nefol says:

Hey Michael,

Thank you indeed for your considerate and impassioned reply. As I sit typing a response the seeds of thoughts you’ve planted are already rooting, shooting, my mind a botanical dichotomy branching repeatedly like a never-ending fractal lol 🙂 Ah, the magic that could unfold, it has me inspired, thank you Michael.

I have never written for performance per se – I was schooled in animation: largely a solo performance – nor written with intention to have another give life to words. It is a fascinating enterprise to consider, and I fully acknowledge the immense pleasure you must have found in seeing your work ‘animated’ by theatre. My experience of Theatre is limited to watching main-stream productions but I adore being immersed within the drama! 🙂

Namaste 🙂

DN

3. scribblersdip says:

non-judgment – how precious a gift to offer and receive – 🙂

4. MC Clark says:

Unconditional acceptance…what a precious gift. 🙂

5. Jael Sook says:

Wow, so good. That’s why I love blogging–it affirms that there are great people in the world, and that I’m no more crazy than the best of them 🙂 I can worry less about fitting in somewhere…

You? Crazy? Pfft….dear lady I am sure you are as sane as the next odd person on WP…its why we all get along so well…with so much in common, how coud we fail???

6. A beautiful piece of writing, Michael. No judgement, only acceptance…so very moving. Thanks for joining in with the Weekend Writing Prompt 🙂