She asked him the question: Why did you lie?

Shrugging he doesn’t know why,

Or does he?

It’s about saving grace

Deep inside alarm bells ring out

He wants her to love him

To see him as a good man

But his undermining her trust weighs heavily on her.

Placating her, hiding his flaws

It is the calm before the storm

A state he generates to save his arse.

Like a series of battles

He lurches from one to the other

Desperately clinging to her

Fearful she’ll walk away and leave him alone.

She looks at him ruefully

Her disappointment obvious

She wants him to trust her

Be himself

Not pretend he is someone else

A bigger man that he really is

After all, she thinks lightning can strike but twice

Is more than bad luck.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2017/06/30/music-prompt-8-calm-before-the-storm-by-sarah-ross-amwriting-musicchallenge-music/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Music Prompt #8: “Calm Before The Storm” by Sarah Ross #amwriting #musicchallenge #music

1. MC Clark says:

It’s hard to just be yourself with the one you love, no masks, no pretense…but I believe it’s the only way to find real love.
    Great poem, Michael, poignant and filled with truth.

2. weejars says:

What a raw and beautiful take on the prompt song. Really enjoyed this

3. Jael Sook says:

Hmmm, this stirred all kinds of memories….

4. mandibelle16 says:

I enjoyed your take on the song a lot. I liked how you talked about how he always had to lie or chose to, and the “weighs heavily on her” b/c whether your a woman or a man, a partner that always lies cannot be trusted b/c you don’t know when they are telling the truth. She wants him to trust her, he would have her confidence to love his flaws and keep his secrets hidden from others, but he choose not to trust her and that I think is where this story end. I loved the last two lines in the context of your story and of the Sarah Ross song that inspired it. Thanks for participating Michael, it’s much appreciated 🙂

Thanks mandi I actually now have several Sarah Ross songs on my playlist. Thanks for introducing her to me.

• mandibelle16 says:

I’m glad me too. I added one song “Not Broken” the week before and I haven’t been able to get her out of my head. Talented girl and so neat that she’s a cross-genre singer 🙂