Writing Prompt June 4th – Story Elements

The words are: Glass, Darth Vader, napkin, cellphone, lighter, book, anger, trouble, mind

The task is: I would like you to progressively, in the order that I wrote the words, create a story or a poem or whatever you feel like.

With the tinkling of glasses and the tapping of attention, we knew something was coming. Sure, enough at Archie’s fifth birthday there was Grandad doing his bit for Archie’s Star Wars theme.

Grandad made a triumphant entry as Darth Vader, breathing heavily and uttering in his deepest voice; “Archie, come to the dark side.”

Archie was folding napkins and was somewhat non-plussed by Grandad’s entry much to grandad’s disappointment.

Mum had her cellphone out snapping pictures and urging Archie to stand with grandad who beneath his hot, heavy mask was probably breathing very heavily.

Dad as always frustrated by his father’s antics took out his lighter as he headed out the door to have a smoke in the garden.

Archie meanwhile had taken a fascination to Aunty Iris’ gift, a book, entitled “The Illustrated Star Wars” and was soon in a corner, huddled into the beanbag studiously turning the pages of his new-found treasure.

Grandad was not happy and as we all knew an angry grandad was never a pretty sight. There would be trouble and Grandad always wanting attention turned his mind quickly to gaining what he most craved.

In hindsight, we thought he went a little too far in taking out his light sabre and slashing Archie’s new book in half.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2017/06/04/writing-prompt-june-4th-story-elements/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Writing Prompt June 4th – Story Elements

1. weejars says:

Love this. I always marvel how our minds can take the same set of words and go down very different paths 🙂

2. giggles. Poor Archie. And poor old Grandad. Not that grandads are that old, these days. Great take.

3. Granddad really did take a walk on the dark side. Funny and clever.

4. MC Clark says:

That was a bit far…😳

5. scribblersdip says:

LOL@ the whole scene – hahahaha …. and the string of comments ….. and I’m sorry, but tonight, in my frame of mind, I just can’t stop laughing at the thought of a dark side Grandad needing more attention and hahahaha, slicing a book in half, which makes me wonder on the whole light saber thing? Brilliant!

Yeah well it all had to fit together in some way Pat….and if Gdad wanted to splice the book with his light sabre then why not, I think he was deranged as it was…lol,

• scribblersdip says:

it certainly made for an interesting tale – still has me rolling about in near absolute hysteria!

You are so easily impressed Pat…lol

• scribblersdip says:

LOL – hey, I’m easy 😉

actually, when it comes to writing, I’m anything but …. but there is just something so magical about your tales Michael – a perfect blend and combination of tone, voice, characters, and a humour that often is so subtle that it sneaks around the corner, following you, yet ahead, so you know, like all really good things, it’s all in the timing? And I have to say, you just nail it, so often, so well 🙂

Thank you Pat I’m so pleased you are one of my readers, I love your responses…

• scribblersdip says:

😀 thank you …. but you do write with great imagination and style, so it’s always a pleasure, even when you right from a more serious side too 🙂

6. scribblersdip says:

oh, and I have to add, I originally misread “fifth” as 50ith … so my mind painted this wild scene with an old codger grandfather and a 50 year old grandson, and went right over the falls, in a thimble, naturally, and even as my mind quickly self-corrected to 5th, I still couldn’t help the overlapping scenes in my head …. such as it is on a wild rainy (it never stops) night ….