Saturday’s Mix–3 June 2017 – Behind My Place

Image © morpethroad

It’s always been there

A farm behind my place.

There was a dairy once,

Fields that grew potatoes

Attracting a mechanical digger

And rows of men and women

Dragging metal drums as they made the harvest,

Filled huge hessian sacks

Before shipping them to market.

Today they grow feed crops

Raise cattle for  the meat market

Breeding new generations

From a very contented bull.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2017/06/03/saturdays-mix-3-june-2017/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Saturday’s Mix–3 June 2017 – Behind My Place

1. Lorraine says:

From your picture, the cows look pretty contented too. As you might feel sitting on your bench watching the scenery chew by.

2. Lorraine says:

I think the position of your bench overlooking the fields is a good one. Nice to have a fern garden with fairies, and fields behind — without the misery of farm labour in plain view now.

3. LOL@the last line!

Well, I’m sure!

Certainly makes for an idyllic landscape view, and cows can be rather friendly and curious – any ever wander close enough to say hello? Ahh, I see on closer inspection of your picture that there is a fence for them too, but have you ever sat on your bench and watched and called to them?? You can tell me, I promise not to repeat it to anyone 😉

Some days they come to the fence and eat what is there….unfortunately they came too close at one time and ripped the wire out of the fence…can’t say I have called to them after all any conversation that does not involve grass, chewing and the inevitable approach of the bull doesn’t really interest them…

4. Lorraine says:

I had a following of cows I called the girls. They were on the other side of a fence that ran through the property/farm land/orchard where we rented a house. A path on our side followed the fence and geography of a small stream. I would say “Hello,” and chat with them about the weather, or whatever was on my mind. No matter how far from the fence the girls were, as soon as they heard hello and saw me, they all came ambling over, and would follow me down the hill on their side of the fence and stream as I went on my walks. I could continue. They were stopped by more fencing to keep them out of the corn. So, I would stop, say good bye, wave, and the girls would stand and watch me go. While I assume some of the girls came and went, the group always acknowledged me, and followed me like a dog might on an unleashed stroll. I have had the strangest pets.

You became part of the herd. I bet they saw you and said to one another here comes that Daisy again

• Amazing how creatures can bond and relate in ways that allow for such wonderful and pleasant encounters. Sounds like they were most excellent company 😀

• Lorraine says:

They listened with rapt attention. And, believed every word of it. No bullshitting there.

• I totally believe you – my grandfather had cows, and I often spent much time with them, listening to them, as they listened to me …. and even know, when I see a herd of cows in a field, I have the impulse to run off and chat – and LOL, even if I’m fooling around and calling out to them – “mooing” away, they immediately stop, and come over …. so, yes, I can believe it – do believe it – just because we don’t speak the same languages, doesn’t mean that we can’t relate – it’s just a think outside of the box and listen first …

• Lorraine says:

Listen is the key — and not only to sound of our own voices.
        Glad you had cows to relate with. When I was very young, I was afraid of my aunt’s cows as they were friendly and oh, so big.

• Cows are to be “feared” – just by virtue of their size, weight and bulk, so I understand what you mean. There were moments when I was shy and timid of them …. but they are wonderfully docile, usually – they too have their moods and ideas – and intelligent beings.

5. Teresa says:

Had to smile at the contented bull. Those big boys truly do enjoy their work! Nice image of the country life.