Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers – Grandma’s Baked Dinner

photo-20161009092947512

Grandma had the smallest pantry I’d ever seen. Not that it mattered she could turn a pair of old socks into a tasty meal.

What Grandma had was a magic touch and her pantry, a collection of bottle, jars and packets with strange markings were all she need to turn the impossible into a mouth-watering treat.

I remember once there was a shortage of potatoes as the drought had gone longer than expected. People were queuing up for the basics.

Grandma never bothered with all that instead she’d say: ” Tonight we are a roast, baked vegies the lot.” So we’d all line up at dinner time mouths salivating and there in front of us was the most delicious roast you could imagine. “It’s all in the bottle up the top,” she’d say.

On the top shelf to the left was a bottle marked,” Baked Dinner…just add….” The lettering had faded so I never knew what it was you added and I didn’t care as Grandma asked if anyone wanted seconds.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/fffaw-challenge-week-of-october-11-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers – Grandma’s Baked Dinner

1. any1mark66 says:

There is a reason that mother’s and grandmother’s cooking can never be duplicated. Nicely done

2. ,,,just add Grandma’s magic! YUMM, I could almost taste that delicious roast dinner! Great story, Michael! Love how the pantry became a source of magic for Grandma!

3. Soul Gifts says:

Yum – she should be in Master Chef and teach George and Gary a few of her tricks 🙂

4. Graham Lawrence says:

You’ve caught the magic of Grandmas cooking. I do so miss mine 😦

5. I follow in my mums footsteps… Though instead of adding water I press the minutes on the microwave! Cute story.

6. Neat. My Mum’s cooking was great and my paternal Grandfather’s fourth wife was a tasty cook (but you’d never eat anything if you saw her work), but I never had a proper grandma, so from this post I feel I missed out a bit!.

7. Lynn Love says:

Why is it that some Gran’s are so brilliant at cooking? Mine definitely was. A lovely, warm and mysterious take on the prompt Michael. Nicely done

8. My paternal grandmother was a horrendous cook, but she baked like an angel (or the pastry chef at Hell’s Café).

9. afairymind says:

Grandma’s cooking is always magical! A lovely story, Michael. 🙂

10. milliethom says:

Well, I’m a grandma too, and I wish I had a few of Grandma’s bottles when all our gang come around for Sunday dinner! I don’t suppose Grandma left her secrets behind…? A fun story, Michael.

I think in the back of my mind Millie was the recent weeks we had had several family dinners which I found very tiring, I must be getting old, but as the ones around all work I tend to do all the prep and cooking not that I mind but by bedtime I am dragging myself around…so some of Grandma’s stuff would be handy for me as well. This week will be my birthday and I WONT be cooking as the kids have decided to bring dinner to me…looking forward to it….

11. This story is just so warming. There’s something about old hands and the kitchen 🙂