Haibun Monday # 22: (Extra)Ordinary Days – Daughter’s Birthday

img_0574

For this week’s prompt, think about a moment of your typical day (first person singular). This can be your morning routine, commute, day in the office, a walk in the afternoon, household chores, grocery shopping, gardening etc. Here’s the challenge: write and find the “extra” in your ordinary day.

I’ve awoken to another glorious spring day, sun shining, birds singing, my youngest daughter’s birthday. Tonight she will be travelling from across town for dinner and I’m cooking two meals she likes. One is in the slow cooker and it’s a recipe I haven’t cooked before. My daughter’s words echo in my head: “Follow the recipe dad and make a shit load.” So I stand at the kitchen bench, recipe in hand and decide to double everything. It’s to be a massaman beef curry and firstly I cut the beef making sure the bits aren’t too big, then bag them and cover them in flour. All the other ingredients I pile into the slow cooker, the onions, the quartered baby potatoes, the curry paste the coconut cream. Liquid ingredients follow and before long when mixed I’m looking at a meal that already has my tongue salivating. I set the cooker onto high having received that hint from the recipe and after an hour I’ll turn it down and let it do what it does so by tonight the meal will be cooked and my kitchen smell good enough to eat. I love the thrill of doing something new, the expectation of success, the terrifying thought of what to do if it doesn’t work out.

love extends today

we gather to celebrate

spring awakens us

Written for: https://dversepoets.com/2016/10/03/haibun-monday-22-extraordinary-days/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Haibun Monday # 22: (Extra)Ordinary Days – Daughter’s Birthday

1. Bodhirose says:

You were brave to try a new recipe when company is coming…even if it was a family member! I hope all went well!

2. kanzensakura says:

Lovely haibun about a special day for your daughter and as a special time for you. The curry sounds delicioux.

3. Mandy Smith says:

You’ve got me salivating, Michael! 😄

4. Grace says:

How brave of you try this new recipe Michael ~ I can smell it from here ~ And I am envious of your spring weather, such a lovely time to celebrate ~ Love the photo and personal share ~ Good luck on the party ~

5. Good thing I read this after I’d had my supper — the picture and description would have made my supper seem even more utilitarian. Hope the party was fun and the food fantastic.

6. Brian says:

Have fun! I would indulge in the curry myself, but I’m a vegetarian. 🙂

7. ladynyo says:

I love the tactile feeling about this haibun. I felt like I was next to you, checking out the ingredients and what you were doing. When a poem, etc. evokes such a response, I know I’m hooked. The haiku was lovely. How was the dinner?

8. Stacie Lin says:

i love taking photos and writing about the new recipes i try.
    it sounds iike an awesome celebration…love your daughters directions. 🙂

stacy

9. whimsygizmo says:

This made me hungry. 😉 Wonderful.

10. sounds like real yummy, Michael 🙂 Happy birthday to your daughter!

11. I have to say (as you say) what could go wrong with a slow cooker… Love that it was written as a live action…

12. Joyfrida says:

Happy birthday to her! The food sounds yummy!

13. Hope you have a wonderful celebration my friend and that your pinny didn’t get too dirty 😊

14. A tasty morsel. I hope the food was too 😉

15. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Oh this is such a delightful read Michael 😀 it was so sweet of you to prepare a meal on your daughter’s birthday ❤️ hope you guys enjoyed to the fullest 🙂 Best wishes ❤️

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

16. kim881 says:

What a lovely way to celebrate your daughter’s birthday, Michael. I hope you all had a wonderful time!

17. Cockles of me heart feeling a stir over here on the other side of the earth.

18. I hope your meal was as delicious as it smelled across the miles. Beautifully written and such a lovely thing to try something new for your birthday girl.

19. Oh my goodness, this sounds SO yummy!!!

20. Mish says:

I like the “live” feeling of this, writing it as you prepared it. It sounds delicious.

21. ZQ says:

Hahaha… yup! Good work! Good job. It really isn’t the outcome it’s the anticipation, preparation, and love that is always welcomed. 🙂