Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers – Aunt Liz

photo-20160918072949267

Photo: Joy Pixley

The boarding house my Aunt Liz lived in was all timber with a magnificent timber staircase. As kids we loved to run up and down the stairs playing all sorts of games.

Aunt Liz would tell us there was a sick man on the third floor and to be quiet. Over the years there was always a sick person on one floor or the other. We realized it was Aunt Liz’s way of keep us quiet.

Mum called Aunt Liz a spendthrift. She reckoned her sister had loads of money but you’d never know it as everything in my Aunt’s unit was old and worn, like her.

When she died mum went to clean up her place, threw out the old and patched clothes and went looking for her sister’s stash.

Under the floor boards in the kitchen was a space in which there was a bag containing more money than I’d ever seen. A note was attached telling mum to spend it wisely.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/09/19/fffaw-challenge-week-of-september-20-2016/

17 Responses to Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers – Aunt Liz

1. Hahaha! Aunt Liz knew her sister would go looking for that bag of money! LOL! I think Aunt Liz was wise knowing how to keep the kids quiet. Cute story Michael! I enjoyed reading it. 🙂

2. jademwong says:

Oooh interesting story! Loved how the aunt knew her sister so well to leave that note behind. Aunt Liz sounds like a woman I’d love to have befriended 🙂

3. Joyfrida says:

hahaha this is a nice story, I like aunt Liz as well.

4. Iain Kelly says:

Great tale, packed a lot into the word limit, and nice atmosphere of childhood memories. I wish I had an Aunt Liz with a bag of money!

5. mandibelle16 says:

I like this Aunt Liz. If she makes it, she’s entitled to her money. I guess she knew that was something her sister was a bit jealous of, but she loved her anyway and left her all that cash. She knew she’d go looking for it.

6. Morgan says:

Fascinating and heartwarming 🙂 Nice take on the photo.

7. milliethom says:

I love Aunt Liz’s character. She evidently knew a trick or two about how to keep kids quiet and wasn’t one to spend money on herself. It seems she was intending her money to go to her sister all along, although she wasn’t going to tell her that! The cash under the floorboards with the note Is a great touch. 🙂

8. afairymind says:

Aunt Liz sounds like the sort of woman I’d like to meet! I hope her sister follows her advice, and spends the money she’s left her wisely. 🙂 Lovely story, Michael.