Moral Mondays: “Judge not, lest you be judged”

moral_mondays_logo

I arrived in the town greeted by my immediate boss. He was excited to see me as they needed a new teacher and as I had two legs and a heartbeat I qualified. He proceeded to tell me the layout of the land. Who to trust, who not to.

Which kids were good and which were not. One group he singled out and I was naïve enough not to know any different.

Within weeks, the kids he said were no good, were in my opinion the best, and he was being more of a dickhead as the days passed.

Written for: https://moralmondays.wordpress.com/2016/07/11/moral-mondays-judge-not-lest-you-be-judged/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Moral Mondays: “Judge not, lest you be judged”

1. mandibelle16 says:

I liked this take Michael. My Dad is a teacher and a principal, and what I have often seen from him, is the kids certain teachers or faculty think are bad, often only need a bit extra help or attention. Like in your story, with that attention, they became the best. Great tale.

2. Jenn says:

Nice story. I have found this to be true in any workplace. I really don’t like it when someone tells me who I should or shouldn’t befriend when I start somewhere new. Let me find out for myself, like you said. Sometimes people who are initially perceived as rude or cold are just shy.

3. “It’s good to be wary of warnings and predictions. Of whos who in others eyes. Good moral,” she commented.

4. Sonya says:

Good lesson – never let anyone else tell you what to think of other people, you never know what their motives are.

5. Shadeau says:

Hahahaha–BRILLIANT!!!

6. Oliana says:

Bravo, Michael!! My son has the same approach as a teacher giving everyone a chance to develop to their potential. Your students were so lucky to have you.

Thank you, he must be a good man and teacher.

• Oliana says:

He is (partial mom)…on his 17th year of teaching.

I would expect you would be partial after all if he is doing great work you have every reason to be proud. Teaching is no easy job as you would know…

• Oliana says:

No it is not. And 3 years ago he resigned from a tenured position to work closer to home not realizing he would be getting subs and contracts from now on. I know it is not easy but I also know from experience we can get complacent at the same place all the time if we are not happy…he was not happy in the end at the other school. Now he teaches high school sometimes and elementary school…so he is challenged and loves the little guys.

Part of our success in any job is being happy with where we are. Its good he has found places where he is challenged, which is probably every day…lol

• Oliana says:

Then it makes it all worthwhile.

7. Nortina S. says:

As a teacher, the last thing you want to do is dismiss a child or group of children because of their reputation, background, dress, etc. A great take on the prompt!