FFfAW Challenge – Week of 06-28-2016 – The Straws

photo-20160626134608912

Image: thanks to Louise at The Storytellers Abode

There wasn’t a lot that could be said about the Straws. They were a farming family at the end of the lane down beside our place.

Mr. Straw or Bales as he was known had served in the war and had returned with only one and a half arms. Most days you’d see him hanging over the fence talking anyone who wandered by. Some days if you were lucky he’d hand over a sunflower for that’s what the Straws grew and sold them to the local Sunflower Oil Company.

Bales despite his disability thought himself a pretty cool guy and always dressed snappily.

It was his slow talking manner that attracted the most attention. Where the rest of us spoke in a rapid fire way Bales was very slow talking in fact if you asked him a question you knew you needed a good thirty minutes for him to get out the answer. So on those days we took a picnic and a thermos.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/fffaw-challenge-week-of-06-28-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to FFfAW Challenge – Week of 06-28-2016 – The Straws

1. Hahahahaha! If you visit Bales (Mr. Straw), you need to take a picnic and a thermos because it will take most of the day. He sounds like a character. LOL! Cute story, Michael! I enjoyed reading this.

2. mandibelle16 says:

Haha. Mr Straws is like the resident listener or therapist. He sits there, you bring lunch and ask him stuff, and somehow, he helps one figure their problems out. Pretty good guy to have around 🙂

3. Dahlia says:

Oh this is lovely 😀

4. Soul Gifts says:

Ha ha – country slow 🙂

I think I’d like Bales–we’d get on well. My best friend of 40 years says she needs a picnic and thermos when we have a conversation 😀

6. Graham Lawrence says:

This is utterly charming. Bales …. Yes!!

7. This is a great feelgood story 🙂 lovely take on the prompt.

8. I really enjoyed reading this, has a lot of layers in my mind.

9. This is a feelgood story. I love the authentic charm and slowness as his life goes on.

10. afairymind says:

A lovely story, Michael. 🙂 A few hours listening to Bales whilst enjoying a picnic and thermos sounds like time well spent.

11. luckyjc007 says:

Very enjoyable story. Love you choice of names…:) Being around him would make a very relaxing and interesting day.

12. milliethom says:

I love this, Michael, and the way you’ve told it in such a matter-of-act way. You’ve made Bales into an intriguing character in so few words.

13. Ha! I like how you make this out. Adding quite a character to Bales.