Writing Prompt #133 “Getting Cozy with Uncertainty” – What is Truth?

Your-Path-to-Truth-e1278821635549

For this week’s challenge I want us to get philosophical up in here. What do you know for sure? What did you know in youth but lose sight of maturity? What is something really important that you have learned through experience? If money were no object what would you be doing?

Many years ago,

When I was a young man

Idealism was idealism.

I thought I knew most things

I had a handle on what was going on.

Maturity and experience changed all that.

I learned for example that truth comes in many forms.

What I see and you see can be the same thing

But our interpretation can vary

Due to the context in which we view it.

I discovered this in two ways.

Through the study of history

And through the stark reality of witnessing death.

History taught me that people can see the same event

But can respond differently

One can see the perspective of one side over another

One can explain the circumstances from the viewpoint

Of events that happened

Personalities involved who each shaped

And crafted the situation to suit their own political leanings.

Death can be the same

What I saw the day a man was killed

Conflicted greatly with the recollections of the perpetrator

Who saw an opposite truth to mine.

I learned there are degrees of truth.

We never disputed the death

We did though the turn of events leading to it.

I would prefer to think that there is one truth

But it can so easily be twisted

Moulded into a shape we may not even recognise

And doubt our version reflects what we think is truth.

When I was young I was wise as the world was simple

Now I am old it is clouded in’ ifs and buts’

But my conscious is all I have to guide me

Deciding which truth is the more true.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/writing-prompt-133-getting-cozy-with-uncertainty/

This entry was posted in Poetry, writing challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Writing Prompt #133 “Getting Cozy with Uncertainty” – What is Truth?

1. Suzanne says:

I like this reflective, philosophical post a great deal. You express your experiences and your responses to them with insightful intelligence and wisdom.

2. A conscious is a good thing to have. Thankfully as we mature our views and outlook on circumstance and events do change. Though, we can become a tad more cynical. Well worded my friend.

3. This is a wonderful introspective piece Michael, with gems of wisdom sprinkled through out

4. Oliana says:

Ah Michael, such a great piece of wisdom one can tuck under their arm as they search for answers. We are so determined, so darn sure when we are younger and then we grow up and respect the different interpretations…maybe not always accept but still…

5. J Lapis says:

I think there are truths about a lot of things, with varying degrees of certainty depending on perspective and frame of reference, experiences. Certainly most of us change some of our ideas as we grow older and perhaps “mature”. Hopefully, we all have ONE Truth that is unwavering, that will stand us in good stead during crises, times of confusion/change/consternation. There are murky things I’m still a bit hazy on–gray areas that used to be black and white, or vice versa–but my Faith (Bible Christian) does not change, regardless of feelings and circumstances that threaten to jumble it all up some days. Since my emotions are hardly a stable way of measuring anything, I’m grateful to stand In/On Christ, the Solid Immovable ROCK. Okay, I’m through preaching for the weekend…(I felt like I was channeling Dr Martin Luther King yesterday).

• Thank you J, I saw you standing on your soapbox and what you say makes sense….and its true basic and fundamental TRUTH can hold us in good stead but as we age so many things seem to be foggy and open to a range of interpretation but our own sense of right and wrong comes into play, thankfully….

• J Lapis says:

A soapbox, eh? And here I was imagining myself in a gorgeous cathedral pulpit 🙂

• Oh well of course, I wasn’t sure you frequented such hallowed places of worship……my sick friend has asked me to say thanks for the prayers you offered, she is home now and the healing begins, thanks for all you did in that regard…

• J Lapis says:

You’re right of course, I don’t get out much–but in my mind, I’d like to think my “preaching and praying” rated a cathedral invitation. BUT, that is pure pride talking–a notable sin; so I shall now humble myself and be grateful for the free blog soapbox God has provided me 🙂 I’m more blessed and happy than I can say, to hear your friend is home–I will continue my prayers for her complete healing and renewed strength. ‘Tis the season to give thanks, and also to GIVE of whatever we have–since I am faraway, my gift for many must be those prayers to an Abundantly Loving God on behalf of strangers yet, friends 🙂

• As you know he works in mysterious ways, even towards strangers…..God bless you J…..

• J Lapis says:

Yes, and I’m SO grateful to Him–He really wants to get the message across that HE LOVES US; that He has grace for all our limitations, bad choices… and the bigger stuff, if that applies.

6. Susan says:

Michael, I loved what you wrote reflecting from youth and now. My favorite part that you wrote was:
    I would prefer to think that there is one truth
    But it can so easily be twisted
    Moulded into a shape we may not even recognise
    🙂

7. Mellowing nicely but not losing our fire! wonderful thoughts!

8. clothespeggedpat says:

Absolutely wonderful piece – reflection and introspection – have allowed the grace of words to flow from your heart and mind Michael. 😀

A read that streams along like water brooking – but no babble here – the flow feels like we are sailing with you on this journey about aging, “truth” and wisdom. Fantastic perspective and outlook – super on you Michael.