FFfAW-Week of 10-06-2015 – First Night Out

wpid-photo-20151005074310397

My first night on the big stage was at the Freckle Theatre. My manager convinced me that my act was worthy of the big stage, big lights, big audience.

Well two out of three isn’t so bad I guess. I got the stage and the lights at least.

My manager Errol was a man born full of ideas but little common sense.

My first night out as he referred to it was a disaster.

Though my mum said I had promise.

But I had been taught that if one person showed up and had paid for a ticket it was beholding of me to give them a show.

But playing to six paying folk was a disappointment in a theatre where six hundred would fit comfortably.

Nevertheless on I went, laboured through my routine to sporadic laughter and a final applause that was begrudgingly given.

Maybe mum’s suggestion of a life working in the bank might not be so bad after all.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/fffaw-week-of-10-06-2015/

This entry was posted in FFFAW, writing challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to FFfAW-Week of 10-06-2015 – First Night Out

1. Oh, I like this a lot! Poor guy. He was ready for “fame and fortune” and got disappointment. Only six paying customers — that’s pretty sad but I think it would have gotten better because he would have gotten bettter. Wonderful story Michael, I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you again for participating on FFfAW challenge!

2. J Lapis says:

Oh goodness, what a bummer! I hope someone told him fame and fortune were less dependable than a secure banking position–‘course, I guess that’s no longer the case, is it…

3. Definitely a bummer and a let-down, but if this is truly his passion, he’ll tough it out. Six today, six hundred tomorrow. 😀

4. A shoe-in for Britain’s Got Talent, X-factor or one of those other programmes where people audition simply because “my Mum says I’m a good singer/actor/comedian/dancer/…”

5. Great story! I felt very sorry for him. Errol might not be the best choice for a manager.

6. Small steps… Good little story my friend, though I did feel sorry for him too.

7. afairymind says:

I think maybe he should have started out in some smaller venues and built up to the bigger ones – at least then he might have already had a bit of a fan base to fill the seats! Hopefully he doesn’t completely give up his dream, even if he does also opt for the security of a bank job. An enjoyable story, Michael. 🙂 Nicely done.

8. nonnaci says:

Theater is hard I imagine. A lot of sweat and labor till you make it big.

9. Joy Pixley says:

Poor guy, trying too big too soon. You know, in a small enough cafe, an audience of six looks pretty big! But maybe a career in banking would work out better after all….

10. Ameena k.g says:

Honestly, this story made me laugh. I could picture the poor boy’s face at the disappointment of just six people. But then, six beats zero :D. I love this.

11. milliethom says:

That was such a fun read, Michael – right from the mention of the theatre’s name. The ‘Freckle’ made me hoot. I must say, I feel sorry for this poor man, so evidently not cut out for a life on the stage. A job in a bank sounds like a much better option.