Photo Challenge# 78, September 15, 2015 – The Dishonest Mirror

the_wasps_hunter_by_rebeca_cygnus-d7dib5e

Image: – Rebeca Cygnus

I had a mirror once

That lied and was dishonest.

I asked it for the truth

It said the truth was all it knew.

I would claw at its surface

My endeavours to climb inside

Thwarted at every attempt

And still it lied.

I threatened it with hammer and destruction

But it smiled back

That toothless malevolent grin

Saying once again the truth was all it knew.

I have sought a great explanation

Have plied it with inquisitive words

Searched for meaning

Understanding and most of all authenticity.

I quizzed the mirror maker

Looked around and upside down

Yet it stubbornly stuck to its word

The truth was all it knew.

I will sell it tomorrow

Buy a more truthful

Honest and benevolent mirror

One I know will tell me my truth

Not some perceived notion

That the truth is all I know.

This entry was posted in Poetry, writing challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Photo Challenge# 78, September 15, 2015 – The Dishonest Mirror

Perhaps you could sell it to a fun fair. That way it could be in the Hall of Magic Mirrors and lie to everyone else like its brother mirrors 😉 But I think I’d still go with the hammer. I like the picture prompt. You get the impression someone is watching from the other side.

2. Anna Elizabeth says:

This is seriously powerful, such truth in your words. I really like your poem 🙂

3. This is fabulous Michael and reminds me of Sylvia Plath’s poem Mirror. It is amazing how different I look in the mirror sometimes there is a 20 year age different from one moment to the next lol

4. phlor says:

Mirror, mirror . . .
    If you find that purveyor of mirrors, please give me their address.
    Unfortunately, there is a night light plugged into the outlet under the bathroom mirror. There is no escape from my mirror monster. She is really there day and night.
    Good poem.

5. At times it hard to look in the mirror, especially as we ‘mature’. I really enjoyed your poem Michael.

6. mandy says:

I’m not at all fond of mirrors. I would ask where I could buy one of the “honest” ones but, quite frankly, I’m not sure I can decipher fact from fiction anymore, so who’s to say I could trust a new one? Enjoyed this piece 🙂

7. Oliana says:

Well now I think my mirror needs changing too!!! Great write, Michael, I enjoyed this very much.

8. RoSy says:

Mirrors never lie. It’s all about the lighting… from within. 😉

9. Very enjoyable – I like that you interpreted this as a “mirror” searching for the truth.