FFfAW – Week of 09-15-2015 – Tex

wpid-photo-20150914082903800

My name is Tex and this is my story.

My full name is Texas Alabama Washington Smythe.

I hate my name because until I was ten I didn’t know my names were American states.

It was my parents; they had a thing about the States. They’d never been there but they saw the arrival of my two sisters and myself as a way of adopting things American.

My sisters are named Virginia and Montana.

They hate their names as well.

And it’s justified because we live in Australia.

We’ve had many discussions with our parents about what they were thinking when we were born. I was going to be Carolina if I’d been born a girl.

But as mum and dad said at the time it seemed a good idea and how many Texas’ have I come across in life?

As dad once said had they been as passionate about Australia I could have been named Jiggalong, Wantawaba or Murray.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2015/09/15/fffaw-week-of-09-15-2015/

This entry was posted in FFFAW, writing challenge and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to FFfAW – Week of 09-15-2015 – Tex

1. Hahahaha! CUTE!! Texas Alabama Washington. Poor kid!! My favorite line is, “They hate their names as well.” LOL!! Great story Michael and thank you for participating in Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers! (Sorry for all the posts last night and this morning).

2. Joy Pixley says:

Hm, given the alternatives, he’s probably best off with “Texas” after all!

3. Yes I do think I am partial to the American names.

Poor Tex! Of course it could have been worse–a lot worse. His parents could have named him Bong Bong, Woop Woop, or even Humpty Doo. 🙂

5. Fantastic story! For some reason, American states do tend to work as names- just ask Indiana Jones!

6. HumaAq says:

All of sudden your given names didn’t sound too bad lol.. It was a fun read

7. phylor says:

Think of the Canadian possibilities: Nunavut, Saskatchewan, Ontario . . .

• Yes its a frightening prospect isn’t it…..I always tell my kids they could call their child Bootlace and within six months you couldn’t think of a better name for him/her.

• phylor says:

My naming advice — how ever many names you wish your child to have, always place the everyday name first. Then there is only one official and common name making life much easier!
        My mother’s family: 2 names, but only called the second.
        My father’s family: hyphened first names. Children dropped he hyphen to have 2 separate names. Their Mother never dropped the hyphen.
        My mother’s side won out.

8. Can you imagine the stigma of being called Wongawonga? Adelaide or Victoria would be okay, though.

9. mandibelle16 says:

A creative take on the prompt! There are many poor kids out their with weird names. I thought it was funny they live in Australia lol.

10. luckyjc007 says:

This is a very entertaining story. You do not have a choice what your named, however, once you get grown, there is the choice of changing your name to something different. I would hate to have the name…Jiggalong or Wantawaba , but I guess it could be a lot worse. I believe I would adopt American traditions before I would name my children the states names.

11. This was a fun story. I enjoyed it- especially the last line. Just as well his parents weren’t passionate about South African names. He could have been Gauteng or Limpopo. I think Tex is rather nice.

12. Sally says:

You made me laugh with your story, great stuff.

13. You kept me smiling, smirking, and laughing throughout this piece. I want to know even more about Texas “Tex” Alabama Washington Smythe and his warm kooky lovable family. Great job with this prompt!

• Thanks Izzy for stopping by. I could tell you that the Smythe’s live in an outback town called Wheelabarraback. They have an Aunt Scotland and an Uncle Irish, a dog called China and a cat named York…..you getting the drift here? Very international family…

14. RoSy says:

LMAO! This post was a hoot & a half!