FFfAW-Week of 08-18-2015 – First In…..

wpid-photo-20150816175959521

When the carnival was in town it was a treat for all and sundry.

Most of the locals had some part to play in the carnivals success.

Kelly Vandersmith was the balloon lady.

It took her all year to source the balloons for the next year. She was passionate about balloons. No balloon was too small and none were considered too big though Archie Jarrison’s suggestion of a floating real life size dirigible was a little excessive in most people’s eyes.

It was a common sight to see Kelly walking the aisles of the carnival holding out her always-impressive array of balloons and selling them as one would hot cakes. The thing was she only bought so many and once sold out there were no more. So from the moment of her arrival on the fair grounds her balloons were eagerly sought.

A lot of folk suggested she buy more each year but Kelly staunchly stuck to her quote and her mantra: First in best dressed.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/fffaw-week-of-08-18-2015/

This entry was posted in writing challenge and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to FFfAW-Week of 08-18-2015 – First In…..

1. HumaAq says:

Great story, and I liked her mantra. You put a smile on my face, thanks

2. tjparis says:

A lovely story. You conjure up the scene so well.

3. i b arora says:

that’s great mantra

4. Lovely story of Kelly the balloon lady! I like that she stood her ground on the amount of balloons she sold and her mantra of, “First in best dressed.” Very nice! Thank you Michael for participating in FFfAW challenge!

5. Graham Lawrence says:

Nice story. I like the mantra.

6. Ameena k.g says:

Aww, it shows she has so much passion in what she does. What a lovely story. 🙂

7. Uday says:

First in best dressed: great mantra indeed! You conjure up a great character, enjoyed reading it!

8. Francesca Smith says:

One can definitely tell Kelly enjoys what she practices. These days, that is a rarity. Very well told story!

9. afairymind says:

I’m glad Kelly doesn’t listen to the others and sticks to her mantra! You can tell she does it out of love not for the money. 🙂 Personally, I think a life size floating dirigible would be the perfect balloon! A great story, Michael.

10. luckyjc007 says:

Great story! Kelly loves what she is doing and takes great pride in it. She has success each year…why change things …I like the saying “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it” ….she is satisfied with the success she was having and there’s nothing wrong with keeping things the same if they are working for you and you are happy.

11. milliethom says:

I now have visions of a great big airship floating over the fair! Perhaps it was a wise choice to decline Archie’s suggestion. I really like the way you’ve portrayed the balloon seller as a strong-minded woman, passionate about her role at the fair. Your story was a pleasure to read.

12. This reminds me of how you can never satisfy everyone; even if she bought more balloons, there will still be those who don’t get one. I’m glad she continuously fuels her passion and stands her ground.