Creative Expressions #11: Point of view – The Tupperware Cupboard

messy tupperware

This week, as a learning exercise to help understand point of view, I challenge you to write the same story from two perspectives. Choose two main characters, one settings, and one mini plot. Write two stories, one for each character.

Maggie and Ben discuss the Tupperware cupboard

Maggie

It’s the Tupperware cupboard for goodness sake. Its not like I asked him to cut his throat. But anytime I ask him to do anything around here its whinge whinge whinge.

Ben thinks that as he works all day in a job that I admit has its fair share of stress, that he can come home, sit on the lounge with the kids, eat dinner and fall asleep in front of the TV.

He doesn’t realise that I have been home all day with the three little ones and our eldest has just started school.

It’s stressful and hectic round here.

I wish he could see that the running of the house is not just my job.

The Tupperware cupboard gets to be a mess because, well yes I do have too much stuff in there and when I finish with things I do have a bad habit of just throwing it back in anywhere so before long there’s plastic from arse hole to breakfast time.

I just want it kept in some order so I can find things when I need them.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

Ben

She’s at me again. If its not one thing its another.

She doesn’t get that I work all day in a job that’s highly stressful, I get abused by the clients and I have goals I am expected to meet each week. Its all go go go and little wonder when I come home that I want to just sit.

As it is I come in and the little kids crawl all over me and I don’t mind that as I love that they do. It’s my bonding time I say. Maggie has had all day with them.

So now I’ve been goaded into cleaning this Tupperware cupboard, which means the tedious task of finding tops and bottoms, and all the parts of sets.

There’s only so much stuff you need I would think. Why have three lettuce shakers? Six cake tins? She never even makes a cake.

She argues that her mother has so many parties that she feels obliged to buy something each time. I say it’s not your mother’s fault, you are the one who dips your hand you’re your purse each time.

I hate this job, it takes hours and I know she wont be happy because I’ll come out and say the cupboards full and not to buy any more.

I mean is that too much to ask?

Written for: https://penntonic.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/creative-expressions-11-point-of-view/

20 Responses to Creative Expressions #11: Point of view – The Tupperware Cupboard

1. RuthsArc says:

Excellent. The little insignificant things that cause the rift.

2. Oh Michael, you have got my pet hate perfectly. The dreaded Tupperware cupboard, which I tidy..now and then, only to give up again..until the next time. Two arguments, or opinions written well.

3. Caerlynn Nash says:

Yes, I had a feeling it would be a tough challenge, but you’ve captured the thoughts of each person very well. Nicely done!
    If any of your followers would like to join in, here another exercise from a few years back. I don’t feel it’s one of my better attempt at flash fiction, but perhaps it will provide some inspiration.

4. mandy smith says:

This is so spot on as to the differences in how male/female minds work, Michael. It made me think of all the millions of dollars spent on books trying to fix marriages (“What Women Wish Men Knew” “What Men Wish Women Knew”), and then more millions spent on marriage counseling. Here, you have so succinctly stated it! Why, the answer isn’t even enough to require a short e-book. You could fit this prompt on a bookmark and pass them out! 😀

5. John Yeo says:

A very good interpreation of the prompt ~ Two minds focussing on he same task in opposite ways ~ 🙂

Oh dear, the dreaded Tupperware cupboard. That is enough to cause WW3. You’ve given the exact differences between a man and a woman’s opinion – and the problem really wasn’t the Tupperware. My daughter has a cupboard full of it. She and my son-in-law usually keep it tidy…until my granddaughter unpacks the dishwasher, then it’s open the cupboard door and throw the Tupperware in. I solved the problem of my untidy Tupperware…most of it I gave away and the bits I use all the time takes up one shelf. 😀

7. Jess says:

I actually use Tupperware, Rubber Maid and all recycled glass and plastic containers. They are wonderful for organizing various things. Wonderful, practical use of P.O.V. in story telling.