Poetics – War Poetry – Mother

279914_1

Mother its hell over here

The whizz, the whine of bullets,

The constant deafening roar

It never lets up;

Fear my constant companion.

Men around me cry

Mortality beckons them.

Gasping, gagging I hear them

Pleading for help

Begging for mothers

As lives ebb away.

Boys my age

I weep for them

Their silence is welcomed

Their misery ended.

I thought to make a difference

Such foolishness long gone.

Replaced by man’s degradation,

His fellow man

Reduced to cannon fodder.

Knee deep in mud

I struggle through each day

Wondering

Will I see a green field again?

Its hell over here Mother.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/10/28/poetics-war-poetry/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Poetics – War Poetry – Mother

1. Gabriella says:

I am sure numerous young men wrote such heart-wrenching letters home to their mothers, Michael. Many Australian soldiers fought in the region where I grew up and they are remembered through monuments and a museum.

2. Mary says:

A strong poem, Michael. I do think in the time of war many soldiers in battle miss their mothers. Mothers, I think, are universally comforting to everyone experiencing fear.

3. brian miller says:

oh i bet it is…an interesting take…taking on the perspective of a soldier writing a letter…i bet it is hell…not only struggling with your own mortality but watching it played out in those around you…hard…

4. JackieP says:

I feel for all those ‘boys’ that had/have to go through those feelings. Now women or ‘girls’ too. It’s sad that in this day and age there are still wars being fought. Great take Michael.

5. I love the letter, which tells the truth about what war is like. I have read that many soldiers called out for their mothers on their deathbeds and no wonder, they were so young to be plunged into the hell of war. Very poignant, very moving.

6. A letter like this might have been written.. But alas I think many wrote letters that lied about reality.. After all, the letters where censored.. But the horrors we know today..

7. Tears at my heart, the words to a mum in any situation. A cry for help, wanting to see a green field once more, beautiful and painful write Michael.

8. kaykuala says:

The worrying cry of one innocent soldier brought out with all its realism. Great word craft Michael!

Hank

9. wolfsrosebud says:

i liked the intimacy of the mother’s involvement

10. Kathy Reed says:

Again, like babes in the woods..

11. Grace says:

I like the letter approach to the mother Michael ~ What a rude awakening that must have been to idealistic young men and women ~ Its hell on earth ~

12. RoSy says:

This one really tugs at the heart.
    So real. So terrible sad.

13. Matt Spence says:

Well done piece- enjoyed the form of a letter written home to mother. You really captured the hell of war in a brief piece.

All war is hell, but these boys never knew the truth; never knew that that’s exactly what they were – cannon fodder. Beautifully written, Michael.

15. ayala says:

A strong and sad write.

16. Such a heartwrenching letter, Michael! truthfully this would be the hidden truth behind the stories they shared instead but if they made it alive one could see it in their eyes.