Haibun Thinking – October 28th 2014

21-c2a9-arthur-browne

Image: © Arthur Browne

I’ve travelled half a world to this point. We sit here in silence beside the memory pool.

My mind casts back to those hot languid days last summer where in the sweltering heat we lay about listening to old Dylan music and you told me the meaning of each song, sang along with the nasally warbler as he laboured his way through songs I knew others had done so much more justice to.

You never ceased to surprise me by knowing his thoughts, his motivations for writing what he did. How did you know that stuff?

Again in the winter with the wind howling outside we sat huddled before the fire discussing the reasons why some art works are art in your opinion and some are mere drawings, photographs with little to no artistic merit.

In keeping with the weather that night our conversation was chilly to say the least, arguing long into the night the futility of my argument and the merits of your own.

Now in the quiet of this pond, I meditate on all that has past and wonder why I am still with you. As I look about the trees stand tall, the gentle breeze rustles the leaves, the sounds of nature echo around me and I like this brief moment of tranquillity before I am sure you’ll begin discussing aesthetics.

meditate upon

serenity abounds in nature

a moment of quiet

Written for: http://haibunthinking.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/haibun-thinking-october-28th-2014/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Haibun Thinking – October 28th 2014

1. Al says:

I really like that. Very heartfelt, and definitely the voice behind a lot arguments and discussions.

2. JackieP says:

Some people would argue or debate about just about everything. I knew someone like that. Not all that pleasant to try to have a conversation with. Good one Michael.

3. Some continue to stay, hold out, hope for a change, that never comes.

4. Pat says:

I really love the way this comes “full circle” — when in the spring/summer – the halcyon days of a relationship, everything is “blessed” with inspiration and wonder as each gets to know the other – and then, in the fall/winter – cooped up, things usually take a turn – the cleared picture is revealed. Spring reappears and the questioning of continuing or not?

Wonderful and I love the Haibun – coupled with the image – it is very powerful indeed. Well done Michael 🙂

5. Suzanne says:

Old Dylan songs and they way continue to unite old friends is something I celebrate too.

6. julespaige says:

Quiet creeping in our days
    through the mist of autumn haze
    we dance through life’s maze

©JP/dh

(For you; just because I did in fact have a few quiet moment to think – as the grands’ have been picked up.) ~Jules

7. Bastet says:

Lovely … even the most pleasant days and moments have a stiff breeze to shake thing up … and a storm cleans the air … but it’s nice to have those moments of serenity.