Meeting the Bar ~ I’ve Got a Little List – Shopping

lista

Across the breakfast table

She winks, smiles, snarls

An impish grin

Got the list?

Waving it in the air I read:

Eggs, ham, butter

A packet of beans,

Ice-cream, 6 titbats.

What are titbats?

To play tit with?

She laughs uproariously.

Her weekly list surprise.

Striped paint, a long wait.

I venture to the shops,

Men in jumpers, hats, scarves

Women a riot of colour

Pouring over red light specials

Eyes concentrating on their prize,

The long, short, round, thin,

All gathered some with trusty lists

Some out to see how the other half live.

Focused on my list, I search aisles

Laden with temptation

Delights of all kinds

My tastebuds salivating

Sugars of every description

Begging for a home in my trolley.

Recycled bags full

Dragged home through heavy crawling traffic

Unpack, admire now replenished pantry.

She takes my hand,

You done good boyo.

Wanna go play titbat?

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2014/10/23/meeting-the-bar-ive-got-a-little-list/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Meeting the Bar ~ I’ve Got a Little List – Shopping

1. Oh my, Michael, you had me laughing at loud at work! this is a very amusing read. thank you!

2. brian miller says:

haha…oh my..you have fun playing….lol…
    i could not go to the grocery…it is like the last thing i want to do…
    i always end up curled up in the corner…i cant find anything…

3. Grace says:

I am laughing the titbat part, ha ~ I prefer doing shopping myself unless its something that I forget, then hubby does his part ~ Enjoyed this one ~

4. Mary says:

Well, I must say that this American is stymied by ‘titbats.’ Haven’t a clue what they are, but do know that this would be a word that would not pass my lips. (Smiles.) A clever list poem, Michael.

5. JackieP says:

So Michael, do tell, how does one play titbats? LOL Fun read.

The lightness and fun in this really made my day. Something I really needed since my poor little car died in the middle of a busy intersection 🙄
    P/S I’m so glad I bought a chocolate this morning 🙂

7. Oh that titbat should be on every list.. Seems to the right thing to have in the pantry.

8. Tony Maude says:

Nothing like a good laugh to start the day – and you provided that n this delightful poem. thanks Michael … still smiling.

9. The list was good, the imagery of the shopping and shoppers was realistic, the titbat set the whole place into laughter, so yay to the titibats! Very funny mate.

10. Kathy Reed says:

Quite the list here, evoking fun images all the way through!

11. claudia says:

haha… now that sounds like some interesting game as a reward for doing the grocery shopping..smiles

12. Sumana Roy says:

thanks for the smile…some enjoyable lines they are…

13. bleibalien says:

Groovy piece- felt like I was shopping along with you.

14. Abhra says:

The perfect shopping poetry – loved it absolutely…and the reward seems interesting too…

15. Justin Lamb says:

Way to make list-making funny! Well done.

P.S.
    What the heck is titbat? 🙂

16. zongrik says:

women a riot of color makes me think of Hong Kong

hurricane and jordan

17. wonderful poem filled with charm and warmth – had me laughing!

18. Myrna says:

My husband and I usually shop together. We split the list to make it faster. But I must put tidbat on his list next time. I have no clue what it is but maybe he’ll find it.

19. RoSy says:

Chris does all the grocery shopping. Makes sense since he knows what’s needed for what he cooks.
    I do add things on the list every now & again though.
    Perhaps I will add titbat on the next one. LOL