Prompt #17 “Mercury & Ashes” – Mask

detalle1

Is it mystery you convey?

A life repressed

Hidden

A mask you hide behind?

Are you concealing?

Shame?

Doubt?

A life?

I watch as you flitter from person to person

A social butterfly

The centre of attention.

Nature has blessed you

Compensated you for..?

I am attracted

Compelled to pay attention

Your allure overwhelms me.

Your eyes

Hold me enthralled

I feel them

Pierce deep into my soul.

I squirm under your gaze

Uncomfortable in your attention.

My power wrested from me

I am naked before you,

Every imperfection highlighted

As you evaluate,

A simple man

Who stares back

Aware his strength is sapped,

But waiting

Curious

Should you venture

A word or two.

Written for: http://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/prompt-17-mercury-ashes/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Prompt #17 “Mercury & Ashes” – Mask

1. I love that you are speaking to woman in the photo outstanding writing beautiful

2. phylor says:

I love the way you admit your attraction and desire in hopes that she sees it.

3. gosh i am holding my breath with this x

4. JackieP says:

You interpreted the picture well Michael. A woman behind the mask is always intriguing. Well done.

5. Miss Lou says:

Beautifully written Michael.

Something I relate to. Reading the words makes me feel introverted, reflective.

‘Are you concealing?

Doubt?’

And this…

‘A social butterfly, The centre of attention’

Although not so much this…. (Interesting how we see ourselves at times.. lol):

‘Nature has blessed you’

Compensated you for..?

The first half I really relate to (self reflective mood) – the second half not so much, but the emotions experienced are so wonderfully conveyed it captures ones attention right to the end.

Thanks for sharing!

ML
    x

• Thanks Lou I think it’s very gratifying to think you can connect with some of what I write, I agree not everything is always relatable.

• Miss Lou says:

I’ve connected to a great deal of your writing over time, always that wonderful point where we can meet in the middle and truly have an understanding of minds and words.

and sometimes not, lol. But with different experiences and hence perspectives the wonderful thing about sharing is we never know what we are gonna get!

ML
        x

6. koniramm says:

I think the social butterflies often have deep self doubts which they cover with a mask. Beautiful poem!
    I’m visiting from the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie prompt. My co-author and I created this piece.

7. RoSy says:

Mystery can be quite captivating…

8. Bastet says:

I liked the poem … interesting to observe the pulling attraction and the pulling back of maybe self preservation?