Wordle #7 – The Family Dinner

wordle10

It wasn’t hard to imagine that his latest money making idea had fallen on deaf ears. We were sitting around the dinner table discussing what ever the daily news was when he made his announcement.

My father had a way of levelling most things we said in relation to money making schemes by simply looking us over and suggesting we ‘wake up to ourselves.’ It usually stood for your idea is nonsense; stick with your day job.

Even I was amazed and had my two bob’s worth.

‘That’s a rather chimerical notion for you have John, where did you come up with that idea?’

There was a sudden chill in the air as everything came to a standstill. My father, who was for the most part a simple man having spent his life, as a builder looked at me somewhat anguished and said in his soft cutting voice, “You had to stick you beak in didn’t you. Where did you get that word and what does it mean?’

‘It means ill founded, illusionary, not gonna happen, pie in the sky..’

‘Yeah,’ he said. ‘I get you. Sometimes I wonder at the wisdom of ever having let you go to that university. You sit up there in your ivory tower lording it over your brother like you do. Who ever uses a word like that?’

‘Sorry it was in tonight’s wordle,’ I replied. They continued to look blankly at me. I fiddled with the honey jar on the table as the silence filled the air.

Sometimes what they saw as my erratic behaviour was almost a reason to bestow forgiveness on me, as they were well aware I was a lonely character most of the time I was often caught up in research that took me off into worlds they could never comprehend. After all I found the physics of a black hole riveting.

I decided to let his ire abate while we had dessert, one of mums delightful apple slices, ice cream and whipped cream, which as always gained her our unanimous seal of approval.

The silence that settled over the table was very welcomed as it gave us a moment to relax and get back to the crux of tonight’s dinner, which was, what to do with the reserve next door as the council was planning to develop it into housing lots and dad wasn’t having a bar of it hence the family dinner, the plans for the protest he was planning and the help he needed from us since only last week he’d sprained his ankle jostling with the mayor over his housing proposal.

Written for: http://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/wordle-7/

27 Responses to Wordle #7 – The Family Dinner

1. Bastet says:

lol…loved this one, and who says old dogs don’t learn new tricks!

2. CC Champagne says:

I really love the way our paths seem to cross all over the place! *smile* This was a great piece, and once again the kind of chilled read I needed this morning… Very nice use of the words too, and a twist at the end at the dad’s comment!

3. This is absolutely fabulous and I love you mentioned the Wordle inside the Wordle like inception haha Vivid story-telling

4. I think it’s wonderful to throw in a word that others do not use or know. Enjoyed this tale Michael, glad dad used the word in the end, made me laugh. I’ll come up with a new word now and then, as long as I have my Thesaurus handy 🙂

5. Mandy says:

Priceless. I felt like I was sitting at the table with my father-in-law 🙂

6. Linda Vernon says:

Haha! Delightful story! I love how you got in that he sprained his ankle jostling with the mayor over his housing proposal! LOL! This was so much fun. And that ending was perfect! HA!

7. kaykuala says:

Beautiful story! A prose is so refreshing given so many other poems otherwise! Great write summerstommy2!

Hank

8. RoSy says:

LOL – Even dad can use the big fancy words once he’s heard them 😉

LOL I can see everything; even hear good old Dad’s voice. Another great story, Michael 🙂

10. phylor says:

With his last mouthful of apple slice I heard him mutter as he licked his lips, “That council’s got its own share of chimerical ideas as well.” Absolutely perfect ending!