Friday Fictioneers – The Electric

lvbydawne_2

My grandparents grew up when kerosene lamps were the only form of lighting. When the electric arrived their old house became a beacon of light to all around. In their fascination they became hoarders of every form of lighting they could find. Grandad would scour the weekend papers looking for garage sales, jump in his car returning hours later with some new lamp they didn’t already have.

I always thought it a shame the house was too small for their collection and the spill over landed on the veranda.  Grandad always said, ‘You can never have too much light.’

posted for: http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/7-february-2014/

This entry was posted in Friday Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to Friday Fictioneers – The Electric

1. Dear Michael,

How enlightening. And I’m sure I’ve opened myself up for a week of pun and games. 😉 Seriously, I loved the story. Collections can get out of hand, can’t they? Grandad’s last line was the perfect ending. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

2. I enjoyed this story. It reminded me of the old farms in the U.S. State of Ohio where I’m from.

3. Sandra says:

Lovely story Michael. I loved the phrase “when the electric arrived” – it was just the way grandparents would say it.

4. Pingback: Friday Fictioneers – Inheritance | The Blurred Line

5. Anja says:

Lovely piece but when I think of hoarders, I just go crazy!

6. I feel a bit that way, too. I can’t understand why builders don’t put ceiling lights in every room. You can always add lamps. In our rental house, the living room has a high ceiling with a lovely fan, but not light package. I just don’t get that! And hoarders make me crazy, too.

janet

7. znjavid says:

Grandad was right!

8. I like that mentality, ‘you can never have too much light’. This does remind me of my grandparent’s house, filled with many old knick-knacks and collectibles.
    -David

9. K.Z. says:

‘You can never have too much light.’ such a lovely line. 🙂

10. Great story…I can so hear MY granpa saying the same thing! 🙂

11. RoSy says:

Nice story. I like the simplicity of it.
    And – true – ‘You can never have too much light.’ 🙂

12. Grandma is right never too much light. Nice story.

13. A lovely, touching story.

14. JackieP says:

Great story Michael. My grandparents still used kerosene lamps, when they finally got electricity they were more intrigued by the TV my dad bought them. I remember sleeping in a big bed with my siblings when we were visiting and the blankets would freeze to the wall at night. No lamps, no indoor bathroom either. Man that was cold! They were way behind the times!

15. hugmamma says:

Spot on! Great contribution!

16. Glynis says:

I remember kerosene lamps, my grandmother had a few. Those things are dangerous, but what wonderful light!

17. Gabriella says:

Nice and sweet story! It feels very true.

18. Michael, I love that you went with the assumption that this was all typical and part of a normal life, lived by folks who are in awe of what’s new. Really special!

19. This made me chuckle out loud great story!

20. storydivamg says:

I find the assorted spins on a prompt interesting, in this case, enlightening. Your literal interpretation works well, Michael.
    All my best,
    MG

21. I love the grandpa and the loving tone of this story.

22. DCTdesigns says:

Granddad was very enlightened. Lovely story.

23. Collections can indeed be shameful.. Ha but really the backdrop of replacing the kerosene lamps made it worthwhile.

24. MrBinks says:

Very nice read 🙂

25. Nan Falkner says:

Very clever story – wait until they get their first electric bill – but maybe they own a wind mill. Good story! Nan

26. draliman says:

Sounds like a real enthusiast! I wonder what new invention he’ll jump on next.

27. JKBradley says:

Could probably see their house for a country mile on a clear night.

28. Bastet says:

Well I can agree with loving light…but well, that is a bit much 😀

29. RajlakshmI says:

Grandpas do have some queer hobbies 😉

30. Linda Vernon says:

Well Granddad was a wise old man. I do remember my grandmother telling me that when they got electricity when she was six, they were all scared to death of it. Apparently people were getting electrocuted left and right from not understanding how it worked! Great story Michael! 😀

31. What a lovely take on the prompt. Loved the last line 😀 well done!

32. atrm61 says:

Ah,how simple changes can add a new dimension to one’s life and even make one a “collector” ;-)A sweet story my friend and I agree with Grandpa(though the electric bill may give one a heart attack,lol).

33. Great piece of nostalgia.

34. I agree with that one, Michael. You can never have too much light. Besides, these lamps found a spot outside on the veranda. Great story!

35. camgal says:

Hmm electric indeed 🙂 lovely piece.

36. Lovely Story
    I know how addictive collecting stuff can be
    *sigh* i wish i had a collection of lamps like ‘Grandad’ 😀
    Cheerio!

37. Melissa says:

A sweet, touching story.

38. I suppose that little saying could be a metaphor for life in general.

39. Sarah Ann says:

Love Grandpa’s last line. Maybe he should have opened a museum.