Friday Fictioneers – Why?

c2a9dawn_q-_landau

I stand on the spot, near where you disappeared.

I have never come to terms with why you did what you did.

Was the pain so great that there was no other alternative?

What about me?

Did you consider me, or anyone other than yourself?

The questions are bountiful, the answers empty.

I sit watching the sea roll in, as you must have done.

You never once asked me for help.

You never once said there was a problem.

I pray you didn’t suffer, that it was quick.

Amongst my tears and my anguish, my heart will always be broken.

Written for Friday Fictioneers: http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/10-january-2013/

This entry was posted in Friday Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Friday Fictioneers – Why?

1. Al says:

That is so moving.

2. These are questions I’m sure more than one person has asked in anguish. Nicely done! We too often don’t consider the other person.

janet

3. Gabriella says:

Very powerful read, Michael! I enjoyed your unexpected take on the prompt, despite its sad implications.

4. cho wan yau says:

The loss of a loved one is hard enough but that s/he chose to end it must be excruciatingly painful and fraught with questions that will never be answered, making closure a distant dream. I am sorry for your loss.

• Thank you Cho for following my blog. My piece was based on the experiences of friends as well as me.Thank you so much for your comment.

• cho wan yau says:

No worries. I have friends who have experience of family members who have committed suicide and I myself have contemplated it seriously more than once.

I really admire the attitude of one friend, she said that it was what he wanted and he is at peace now. I was touched by how selfless and courageous that remark was. I cannot imagine anything worse than the loss of a child to suicide. It would be the one thing that would undo me.

5. Anja says:

You did so well…see…told ya so

6. Your writing in this piece is perfect in its simplicity and honesty.

7. and you did very well, sad and tugs at the heart strings Michael, nicely penned my friend.

Oh yes, the questions are bountiful! Why? How? So amazingly written, Michael.

9. Sandra says:

I think you must have captured the thought processes of many bereaved ones here, Michael. Nicely done.

10. draliman says:

That was so sad and so well written.
    I’m sure these thoughts run through the heads of pretty much everyone in the same situation.

11. Tina J.S says:

A deep and beautiful text 🙂 Love it .

12. RoSy says:

Beautifully sad.
    I can’t begin to imagine what would be going through someone’s mind when they follow-thorough with ending their lives. There must be such tremendous pain & hurt in their souls.
    May they RIP.

• Thank you RoSy, I leanrt the lesson many years ago that we should never condemn a person who takes their own lives as we sill never know what was in their heads when they made that decision.Thanks again.

13. Joe Owens says:

I find it interesting how this seems to send so many respondents into a mournful space. I guess I just have too much humor in me when I see this early in the morning and put mine together.

14. And that’s what happens when someone leaves – whether it is in that final way, whether they have chosen it (or not), or whether they have just absented themselves from your life and are no longer available. The only answers you get are the ones you make up in your own head. They’re rarely good. This was beautifully and delicately written, Michael.

• Thank you Freya these are never good scenarios and never easy to write about but having known people who have made these decisions I am left wondering the state of their mind at the time but also I try and understand the impact on those left behind and yes it does extend to a lover leaving and never knowing why. I have the song by Dido,The Day Before The Day, going round in my head. Thanks again always good to read your comments.

• No, I can’t imagine their state of mind – it just seems unbearable to me that they think the only option left is so final, and irreversible (if they achieve their aim).

15. Wonderfully expressed, the simple enormity of such a loss and the enduring mystery! 🙂 🙂

16. Beautifully written, Michael. Survivors are left so often in the dark…why? and we will know only when it is our time, sadly.

17. Dear Michael,

“the questions bountiful, the answers empty” Your whole story is summed up in that line. Nicely done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

18. Linda Vernon says:

Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. And those who never say a thing to anyone . . . That’s got to be the most horrible, haunting thing in the world! You expressed all these things so well in your poem, Summers.

19. Moving, touching piece. How can one ever really be at peace with this situation? You captured that beautifully here.

20. Painful and raw, Michael. This is a tough one. It is always the survivors, those left behind, after suicide, that pay such a painfully high price. Well done! I am really stunned by the responses to my photo… wow!

21. nightlake says:

painful and sad..the person who goes doesn’t really think of the others..

22. So sad. And I see your point about being on similar tracks on this.. To be a survivor is never easy

23. I so agree! Suicide is the most selfish act!