Friday Fictioneers – Play Ball

tree-climbing-poppy

Hey Rover you there? Rover?

Ralph, you up the tree again?

Yes, it’s that kid again.

Little Jack?

Yes him, horrible kid, always chasing me, pulling my ears.

Ah stop whinging Ralph, get down and play ball with him.

No way, you seen those balls, bigger than me.

You are such a wimp Ralph.

He throws them at my head.

Well it’s a good thing you can climb trees.

Couldn’t till he came along, now I see him and I’m up the tree.

Well you better come down soon.

Why?

His dad’s been cleaning his gun.

Oh, right, play ball!

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to Friday Fictioneers – Play Ball

1. a gun??? nooooo!!!! He’s too cute, best he just runs off and finds an owner who will treat him properly. 😉

2. Cute story, Michael. I think you mean whining not whinging. 😉 Glad you were around early in the game to let me know about the link tool. I had it scheduled wrong. You’ve diverted potential FF disaster. Many thanks.

Shalom,

Rochelle

3. Highly amusing, Sir ST2.
    Highly – geddit?
    All the best to you, me old mucker.

4. Sandra says:

Very funny! And the term ‘whinging’, Rochelle, is generally used in reference to us ‘poms’ (the Brits). 🙂 Snappy dialogue!

5. Anja says:

Poor little fella…..I will send my cats up to play with him.

6. mike olley says:

Poor dog, a life in the firing line dodging bullets and balls. I’d get out of my tree too.

7. A dog with some sense… best way to get away from those kids

8. I enjoyed this but WordPress is being really quirky (nicest way to put it) these last couple days and I’m not getting a like button to press. Consider yourself liked.

janet

9. Yes I smiled at this one. You actually told the story of why that dog is up the tree and the kid is looking up at him. Very well done.

10. Linda Vernon says:

Haha! Play ball indeed! LOL! Love this Summers. You’ll get no whinging about it from this Sheila! 😀

11. LOL, very cute!! 🙂 🙂

12. JackieP says:

Oh too funny Michael! I named my dog Ralph too! Great minds. Mine is much different though. The dog would be better off running away and finding a new home without bad kids and guns. 🙂

13. RoSy says:

Cute story.
    But – poor Ralphie. 🙂

14. Jan Brown says:

Very funny!!!! Good dialogue, and inventive use of the photo prompt. Nicely done!

15. Adam Ickes says:

Starting the new year off by threatening a dog with a gun. How can you go wrong there? 🙂

16. elmowrites says:

Run, Ralph, run! I liked the name swap and the ending. And yes, whinging is in my vocab too – I often get pulled up on it by NAmericans though…

17. Thank you Lala, I appreciate you reading my post.

18. Great fun. And great advice from Rover. Bow wow!

19. draliman says:

He goes to all the trouble to learn how to climb the tree and now it turns out dad’s got a gun!
    Poor Ralph 🙂

20. Creative and fun. I love the whimsy here, Michael… though Rochelle’s grandbaby is clearly a girl! And poor, poor Ralphie!

21. zookyworld says:

Poor dog to be stuck with this family — the kid throws balls at his head, and the dad’s cleaning his gun. Smart dog, though, to climb the tree to get away!

22. liz young says:

The dog should take a leap of faith and jump over the fence.

23. JKBradley says:

Maybe Ralph can trick the kid into going up in the tree.

24. annisik51 says:

Yes, its that kid again – I think you need an apostrophe (it’s) and a full stop. Sorry, it’s the proofreader in me, can’t keep it under control!

Maybe the father is going to shoot Ralph, for egging Rover on? Or even ‘the kid’? Or himself? There is more than one possible conclusion to this, I feel.

I love Ralph and Rover. They are a brilliant twosome as characters.

Happy New Year.

Ann

• Thank you Ann and a Happy New Year to you. Thank you to your proof reader side, corrected. The beauty of 100 words is you often create a situation where an ambiguous ending comes into play. I am pleased you have read it this way. Michael

You sure get around Mr T2. Another good story. I think I might just have to follow you.

26. Sun says:

clever dog but really, people who shoot dogs well, not nice. actually someone did shoot my dog. luckily the bullet went right through his leg and not hit any bone or nerves. just blood everywhere. random shooting. awful. but your story, a cute one. 🙂

27. A ball would be much better than a gun. Fun story, Michael!