Ligo Haibun Challenge – A Winter’s Child

My wife has just given birth and I am watching as blood begins to pool on the table between her legs. There is a problem and the staff needs to attend to it immediately.

A nurse hands me our new baby and tells me to go and sit in the corner while they attempt to stop the hemorrhage.

I am sitting holding this new baby, it’s a girl and she is sleeping in my arms, just new born, still with her birth legacy on her face and wrapped up in a standard hospital blanket.

I am looking at her, fascinated that this new child is alive and in my arms. I become oblivious to the action on the delivery table, rather I am fascinated by the sight of this child in my arms. She then opens her eyes and looks up at me and I immediately fall in love with this most beautiful child, who sees me, fascinated I am sure, that the person who holds her is not her mother but her father. Today that baby still looks at me with those same eyes, the love stronger, I know I am blessed.

a precious new life

enters a winter landscape

loved and blessed

Written for the Logo Haibun Challenge, the prompt being a Namibian woman and child.

This entry was posted in Haibon haiku and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Ligo Haibun Challenge – A Winter’s Child

1. Ese' s Voice says:

Real, raw emotions that enfolded me at once and brought away to that very moment. Powerful and full of love, those first minutes of precious, life-long bond just formed. Still being aware about what happens in the room, but looking inside another world at the same time. And your haiku…a beautiful note to end on.

2. Suzanne says:

Very beautiful and heartfelt. You reminded me of my own feelings when I first held my new born children.

3. took me back…. beautiful Michael…that last line… how precious to see your baby still look at you this way … every parents dream.

4. Ye Pirate says:

A beautiful haibun of tenderness and tension, intimate and with a whole ethos of creation and discovery. A real moment, real happening. Marvellous reading

5. Anja says:

I loved the last line. Wonderful haibun.

6. Gorgeous I agree a very raw and touching piece

7. So lovely! Just perfect!! 🙂 🙂

8. jrosenberry1 says:

This is absolutely beautiful – and made me teary-eyed. That’s a good thing. 🙂
    Wonderful, wonderful writing.

9. RoSy says:

So beautiful & full of love!

10. sylviaausten says:

Writing from the soul can be painful but very freeing.

11. atrm61 says:

Very real and touching-I could feel a father’s love flowing:-)Lovely Haiku!

12. Brenda says:

Lovely to hear the daddy’s point of view, at such a precious moment. I was always the one on the table. Wonderful writing.

13. An utterly honest approach to your experience of your daughter’s birth! I somehow think that many fathers fall in love with their daughter this way.

14. paulscribbles says:

I held my first daughter in such a way and your words have brought tears to my eyes.Beautiful.