Photo Challenge #242 – The Tin Can Choir

47386434_2159075934342029_6381545296970645504_n

The Opera House was packed, the crowd in anticipation of an event, which in later days would be described as unforgettable.

The Tin Can Choir was performing, and there was an air of expectation amongst the crowd as the choir had been assembled from a variety of recycling plants around the state and their reputation was second to none, mainly as they were the only choir of their kind.

But not all was harmonious within the choir ranks. Jack Daniels, the choir master, was a hard task master and had rubbed several cans the wrong way in his efforts to achieve excellence.

As a result, the Diet Coke had been dropped from the choir for not having a sweet enough voice as well as being a trouble maker. DC as it was known was not at all impressed to find himself excluded from the choir and set out on a journey of revenge.

It substituted the choir masters baton with a magic wand he bought from the local ‘Wands Are Us’ store in the High Street.

When Jack, the choir master, tapped what he thought was his baton all hell broke loose.

The choir members found their voices deserted them. The baritones discovered they were out of tune; the sopranos cracked, and the tenors were unable to get out a single coherent sound.

The more Jack tapped his baton and waved it about the greater the chaos and mayhem around him.

The audience sat in stunned silence before they, having paid large sums of money to attend, became restless and began making overtures of their own, none of which were complimentary.

The choir master sensing a riot on his hands turned to face the unhappy audience and in doing so waved his baton towards them causing further mayhem as the first five rows burst into song, then the side seats joined in, and in the confusion his baton had the entire audience singing the well-known ballad, “If I had a can or two I’d drink each one with you.”

Meanwhile, the choir, which by now was distraught over its inability to sing, stopped to listen to the audience, pounding out the song with increasing amounts of gusto. The choir attempted to join in but to no avail and fell silent as the choir master struggled to gain control.

While all this was happening DC stood in the wings smiling broadly, ever so pleased at the bedlam within the concert hall.

Knowing this was its last time near the choir it felt the twenty dollars sixty it spent on the wand was a very sound investment.

By nights end the audience had sung two more songs and received a standing ovation from the now mute choir. Jack Daniels the choir master, was being led away, his career ruined, his brain addled and was heard muttering as they strapped him into a strait jacket, “I’ll never have a drink again.”

It was as described above an unforgettable experience and the Tin Can Choir went on to greater fame as a clown choir.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2018/12/11/photo-challenge-242/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Photo Challenge #242 – The Tin Can Choir

1. Sadje says:

What a wonderful story. I wish I was there fo the performance! 😂😂😂

2. wildchild47 says:

⤴ Absolutely priceless! Whoot!
    And comically absurd, the whole way through, but that really just made laugh out loud.
    Great story-telling Michael – and wonderful “let loose” of the imagination in play.
    I also really liked the bit about “wands r us” and “pour” Jack being led away, insensible and addled. LOL 😀

Hi Pat thanks for stopping by glad I could give you a chuckle today
      Seemed a reasonable place to go for that image
      Have a great day I think stay warm is appropriate?

• wildchild47 says:

yes, stay warm is really appropriate – it’s unseasonably cold — at least for another few days, snowing again too – but tomorrow cold again with sun? (haven’t seen that for awhile!) and I trust it would be right to say, stay comfortably cool as you’re on the opposite side? 🙂

it’s a hysterically odd image, but lots of fun – I’m sitting with a few ideas myself 😉

Yes stay cool is the way to go, fortunately it is a cool day here but its bound to warm up, after all it is Christmas and if its not stinking hot its got us all wondering what’s going on.

• wildchild47 says:

LOL@stinking hot! I still, after all this time, can’t quite wrap my head around the idea of blistering temps in the sun at Christmas. I guess you can’t take the snow out of this girl, despite all my moaning. 😉

Stay cool – or at least, comfortable and safe 🙂

3. crimsonprose says:

Love the humour, exactly fitting that of the photo. 🙂

4. NEKNEERAJ says:

Great humorous storytelling here. Loved your take, Michael.

5. I love the picture and the story. Great job, thank you!

6. harper1852 says:

I think the powers that be are upset with me. I’ve only been on this site a month or so. They gave me some kind of award. That was nice but when I was made aware of all that was expected of me, I chose to opt out. It reminded me of Facebook games. 1) I’m still having problems with the computer instructions and 2) I write. I don’t have the time for all that other stuff. I see you’re doing it and that’s probably smart but I don’t. For some reason I trust you for advice.
    Thanks, Harper, not my name ofcourse. I’m crazy and related by marriage to Zelda Fitzgerald so it just seemed to fit.

the awards are ok except as you’ve discovered they require a lot of time which is why I have made my blog award free. Reading and commenting is reward enough.
      I write for myself, if you enjoy my work then that is great, I don’t write to be published. Lots of bloggers do but the publishing process is long and tedious and you have to be dedicated to it to achieve what you want. That’s my opinion having known a number of bloggers who pursued publication. But for some its the ultimate goal, so I say go for it.
      I did look up Zelda Fitzgerald, her husband was more known to me than her. I suspected Harper was not your name, but a lot of bloggers blog under false names, its your prerogative to do so, certainly when I started out I did so too. Certainly if you were an 1852 model that would explain that lovely comment: “Old as dirt”. I’m more your 1953 model.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )