100 Word Wednesday: Week 74 -The Street of Sameness.

img_9417

In the street of sameness, nothing stood out. It wasn’t allowed, to be different was akin to being subversive, and that would never do.

Once a month the suburban dictator would arrive with set-squares and theodolites to check the sameness. Those who were not compliant were ostracised, forced to publicly apologise for bringing their community into disrepute.

It was a proud community, everyone had a name colour to reflect their sameness, Randy and Sandy Beige, Joe and Jane Pastel, all blended together in decorous perfection.

The residents loved their free society. Their sameness was about belonging.

Written for: https://bikurgurl.com/2018/06/06/100-word-wednesday-week-74/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 100 Word Wednesday: Week 74 -The Street of Sameness.

1. Sameness can be good. Sameness isn’t the enemy. Fanaticism is the enemy

2. rogershipp says:

One could have HOURS of discussion on your assertions. WONDERFUL!

3. bikurgurl says:

There is so much familiarity in having everyone, and everything, be the same. I think the order fits many people nicely, maintaining homes and home values. However, when we moved into our home, we specifically looked for a home in a neighborhood with no rules, no need for compliance. My neighbors did light-heartedly tell us when we moved in that they were happy to mow our lawn to help keep the neighborhood in good order. Once I had my cancer surgeries, I needed a project and chose to dig up most of the front lawn – replacing it with vegetable and flower beds. Now, the small bit of lawn I do have in the front lawn cannot be seen past the gardens — so there’s no need to worry about mowing to another neighbors standards or expectations! Lovely as always — and loving your Instagram feed!! Thanks for joining us this week — see you Wednesday!

Where I live we don’t have any rules. You have what you want. One house had a clothesline in the front yard once. Thanks too for the encouragement with instagram, its all a bit of ht and miss so far. But I’m learning.

• bikurgurl says:

I’m still trying to utilize Instagram more effectively. I’ve changed phones in the process sand trying to keep up with all the updates without too many extra apps. I’ve found it mildly addictive for not only following writers of blogs, but homeschooling people, environmental causes, gardening grammers, gamers, and the like! I think your images are fantastic — but I’m not trying to hone ‘an image’ with my account, it’s more about fun 😉

Well if it’s not fun I’m not interested. Like at present I am writing a wordle prompt and I’m up to my third version. If they don’t feel right I stop, rethink and try again. Somedays I am forced to stop and abandon the process. So have a good week Kelly.

• bikurgurl says:

You too, my writing friend!

4. Pingback: Wind-Up Week 74: 100 Word Wednesday – Bikurgurl

5. Reena Saxena says:

I read Communism between the lines 🙂

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w