Sunday Writing Prompt “Letters to Humanity” Arria to Grandad

c28d2766efc48d0d1250122fc445fda2

Dear Grandad,

My teacher said our homework was to write a letter to humanity. I discussed it with mum who said a letter to you would be neat as she says you are the most humane person she knows.

So I got to thinking about you and what I know about you. I did talk to mum who filled me in on some of your qualities; she seems to know a lot about you doesn’t she.

I remember as a little girl sending you a message saying you were the best sandwich maker. Mum was tickled pink by it all and made a recording and sent it to you. I can see you chuckling still over that.

When I think back on you, I remember you coming round to chat to mum and some days when mum had to go out you sat with me, and we’d chat. Do you remember all that?

I think you thought I’d never shut up as I was always on the go and never short of a word but you let me be me, and I’m forever grateful for that.

Mum said you were like that with all your kids and they are all in agreement that you were a pretty good dad.

As I grew, I liked it that you would take time to talk to me. You were always inquisitive, you asked me questions that sometimes I didn’t know the answer to, but you were patient and allowed me to ‘go on’ as you used to put it. At the time I think I was sure I was teaching you something, but in hindsight, I’m sure it was you being who you were, a teacher.

To me now I am older I understand more what humanity is, and I realise that you are the perfect example of it in my life.

I hope I can be as gentle with people as you are, I know I have a fiery streak, we red heads are like. You’ve been a great example of how to live Grandad, thank you for being you.

Love

Arria (Granddaughter No 2)

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2018/05/20/sunday-writing-prompt-letters-to-humanity/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Sunday Writing Prompt “Letters to Humanity” Arria to Grandad

1. This is lovely Michael.

2. Reena Saxena says:

Great that you could see yourself from another’s perspective.

3. What a touching letter Michael I was truly moved

4. mandibelle16 says:

Beautiful piece and indeed this girl’s grandad seems like a wonderful version of humanity and kindness. I think one of the ways he did this was just to listen and let his children and granddaughter talk. To speak their minds too. Not many people listen well, and we all have times we aren’t good listeners and should be. I very much enjoyed this 🙂

5. James says:

It’s been my privilege to be a grandson, then to watch my children have a relationship with my Dad as a Grandpa, and now finally to be a Grandpa myself. Today, my nearly three-year-old granddaughter fed me mudpies.

6. colonialist says:

A letter to delight the heart of any grandfather.
    I wish I had known either of mine.

7. Mandy says:

Oh, how my heart swells, reading this, Michael. This is how I pictured you as a father, a grandfather, and a teacher. Sometimes a grandparent plays a greater role in a child’s life; there is the patience factor, and of course, the child gets to go home, lol. Beautiful piece!

8. This is one of the most beautiful post I have ever read, Michael. It makes me so happy that such wonderful family relationships still exist and it gives me hope for us all.

9. How lovely. Your grandad sounds wonderful!

10. EsmeSlabs says:

I think we can all agree, as kids, we were rambling 1,000 mpu

11. Darlene says:

My dad was that kind of grandfather and my daughter could have written this letter. Love it!!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )