Haibun Monday: Who? What? Why?

Write a haibun about what/who inspired you to write poetry.

I started writing ‘poetry’ when I was in my teenage years. I found it a means to express my feelings mainly about girls I thought I should know and fall in love with. This would have been around 1970 when I was in school. Then when I taught myself to play guitar, I found my poems with added music made them live a little more.

Later I wrote a few musicals, again poetry with an added riff or two.

When I started high school we had an English text, and the title was from this haiku:

For deliciousness
try fording this rivulet
sandals in one hand

by Buson

That was my introduction to Haiku.

Today I use it still as a way to express thoughts and ideas. Though I tend to find I’m more story based than esoteric.

Introduction made

Teacher as aware as me

Words and syllables

sandals

Written for: https://dversepoets.com/2018/03/19/haibun-monday-who-what-why/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Haibun Monday: Who? What? Why?

1. rothpoetry says:

Amazing the things that motivate us. I love your first haiku… you waded in and now you are up to your neck with us!
    Dwight

2. I adore “story” poems – some of my favorite poems I’ve written are actually fiction – character based. And of course, music, guitars, and poetry all go hand in hand.

3. Grace says:

Music and poetry go hand in hand~ How lovely to be exposed to writing haiku in high school ~ Thanks for sharing Michael ~

4. Frank Hubeny says:

Adding music can help a poem. I wish I knew how to do that.

5. kanzensakura says:

I enjoy story poems. I write them sometimes but then I suppose you could call all poems story poems. Nice that you added music to your early poems to make up to the ladies. That was a fun part of your haibun.

6. kim881 says:

Something else we have in common, Michael – playing the guitar and writing songs as teenagers! And what a delicious introduction to haiku with Buson!

7. Suzanne says:

I like the way you use poetry to tell stories that speak from your heart to the hearts of others.

8. annell4 says:

I loved reading this!

9. Another few brush stroked in the portrait 🙂 I don’t see you as haiku. More epic free verse poetry. This haibun is lovely.

10. Jo Aylard says:

Your piece reminds me of the lovely interplay between words and music. Nicely done 🙂

11. Love the life story here… maybe I would have been more popular with the girls if I started writing as a teenager.

12. Love your haiku. I feel torn at times between the conciseness of a haiku, and a story, which I love creating.

13. Vivian Zems says:

Poetry…the language of love..Your instincts were spot-on, even then. Lovely write😊

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w