Weekend Writing Prompt #37 – Misgivings

Amedeo_Modigliani_-_Portrait_of_Juan_Gris

It came as a surprise when she said she had misgivings. It was all to do with ‘us’, ‘we’ and ‘marriage’.

“You’re duller than I first thought,” she said over what was to be our last coffee together. “I was prepared to let you see what you were doing to me and maybe improve yourself but I’m afraid you’ve not. I’m depressed, I know I am, and it’s all your fault.”

I was stunned by her revelation as I thought I had been a very dutiful husband. Attending to her every need, responding to her sexual advances, providing a healthy paycheck each week for her to indulge in her favourite pastime, spending.

“Yes,” she said, “you do all that, but it’s always the same. Its like your stuck in a routine you think is okay and I’m expected to be grateful for the same old day in and day out. I said I liked my tea first thing of a morning and that’s what happens, I said I like sex a certain way and that’s all you do, there’s never any spontaneity, its dullsville is what it is.”

There wasn’t much I could say so I sat in silence.

“And that’s what happens when I say anything. You shut up, you don’t try to discuss, I’m sure you aren’t listening to what I have to say and that’s equally frustrating.”

She was right I did shut up, there was nothing I could say as I found myself tongue-tied once again. It was like a defensive trait in me, shut up, say nothing, that way they can’t attack what you say. It can’t get any worse, can it if I stay silent.

But it did. She got up and dropped her cup in the sink and disappeared into the bedroom. I suspected she was on the bed reading, which was what she did when angry with me.

But this time she re-emerged with her bag and a stuffed suitcase: “I’m going to stay with Myra for a while. I need some space, some time away from you. Don’t call me, I’ll call you when I’m ready to come back.”

With that she walked out and I immediately had misgivings of my own as I watched her back the car out and drive off in the direction of Myra’s, her long time best friend.

I had let her go, no fight, just resignation. Inside I knew she wouldn’t be back.

Written for: https://sammiscribbles.wordpress.com/2018/01/13/weekend-writing-prompt-37-misgivings/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Weekend Writing Prompt #37 – Misgivings

Me. Me. Me. With some women that’s what it is — particularly, I think, women of a certain age bracket. What would have happened I wonder, if you had done things differently? I can imagine… “But I like my tea in the Royal Dalton cup with the hand-painted blue Periwinkles, not the
    Mitterteich Green Ming tea cup. Green is an afternoon colour.” From what I’ve observed in the last forty or so years, certain areas the feminist movement have a lot to answer for. Equality is one thing. Equality on their terms only is quite something different. I think we all need to develop an attitude of gratitude.

2. You’re better off, honestly!

3. Dewin Nefol says:

Hey Michael, Namaste 🙂

Very much enjoyed, thank you. If I were him, I’d have changed locks long ago and traded her in for a model lol 🙂

I agree with Lynn, there are some woman who demand unconditionally and submissiveness in the face of feminism. One wonders what the lady in the story actually did herself to put spark back in the relationship…marriage is always a two way street.

Great stuff. Thank you Michael 🙂

Namaste 🙂

DN

Thanks Dewin I often wondered the same thing. I shudder when I think back on it.

• Dewin Nefol says:

I’m sorry to hear that Michael 🙂

We all get ourselves in a tangle sometimes. Merlin had the same trouble with Nimue when her entice led him into entrapment within a tower of vicious thorns: his magic left him and for intents-and-purposes, he lived in exile from himself. If a great wizard can’t always get the balance right either: what hope is there for the rest of us doing so? lol 😀 One must just step boldly and like a trooper die with your boots if needed.

Keep looking forward towards an open horizon, it’s always a far better view than looking back at milestones.

Namaste 🙂

DN

Its always about looking forward, the past is there to learn from.

• Dewin Nefol says:

Amen to that.

Namaste 🙂

DN

4. ellenbest24 says:

Oh dear many a man and a woman think there are set rights and wrongs in marriage. They collect all the memories of thing that were liked and provide only those, in hope of always making the other happy. They lose the mystery, spontaneity and adventure. Sad but true.