December 14: Flash Fiction Challenge

working-template-for-ff-challenges17

December 14, 2017 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story using the phrase “only in…” It can be used to tell a story about a profession, a place or situation. Go were the prompt leads you.

Well only in Australia can you have Christmas on a stinking hot day. I’ve been told it’s because we are upside down and back to front and there is an element of truth in that.

But on days of extreme heat, I have to deal with blogs where snow flakes cascade endlessly and even though there is a psychologically cooling effect on me I shake off the snow drifts on my psyche and realise that outside I could fry eggs on the footpath.

I plan to have a cold meal Christmas Day, baking is a fool’s game down here.

Written for: https://carrotranch.com/2017/12/14/december-14-flash-fiction-challenge/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to December 14: Flash Fiction Challenge

1. BlueSky says:

I do feel your pain with that heat, Michael, even though we are nearing a time of those pesky snowflakes. I’d rather a happy medium myself, say 74F year around. In the meantime you put out some cool salads and cold cuts and I’ll put on a pot of hot soup. 😅

2. floatinggold says:

I apologize for annoying you with my falling snow.I wish I could walk outside and relax my shoulders in the sun instead of burrowing my head in them, trying to conserve as much heat as I can…

Like today, Michael 😮 The temperature is currently 37C (next Tuesday we’re expecting 42.) According to the BOM, there’s a 75-100% chance of rain on Christmas day. A few years ago, my blog didn’t have snowflakes at Christmas time, then suddenly there they were. Lovely!! There is something about seeing them fluttering down. LOL it’s so Christmassy 😀

4. floridaborne says:

South Florida is a lot like that — much warmer in that part of the state than where I live, but we rarely get snow. When we do, you have to squint to see it. 🙂

The cascading snow flakes on blogs are distracting and give me a headache. Never could see the value in it.

5. I think not only are we in for a sweltering Christmas but also for all of summer. I second your flash but I cope with the falling snow.

6. Charli Mills says:

An informative flash, Michael, and I think I might like fried eggs and cool dinners soon. I guess baking cookies is out? I hope you enjoy that I did include an Australian Christmas slide in the desktop screensavers at https://www.canva.com/wordsforpeople

7. Frank Hubeny says:

I wonder about those endless snowflakes as well. Nice one.

8. I knew it’s summers during Christmas in Australia, and you have a winter equivalent version also (saw it on a TV Series, where else! I think it was Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, but not sure) but never paused to think how depressing it could be to be different from the rest of the world. OK, maybe depressing is too strong a word, but you get my drift 🙂

9. I hear you, Michael, it is the same in South Africa at Christmas time. Well penned.