FFfAW Challenge-Week of July 18, 2017 – Brand’s Steps

photo-20170717154624399

Image: JS Brand

Part of my exercise routine each day was to run up Brand’s Steps on the far edge of the park. They were sandstone blocks laid by convicts over a hundred years ago and back then the top of the stairs was where the gallows stood.

The convicts referred to the area at the top as Calvary.

Over the years, the stones have weathered and often as I’d run up them, puffing like a steam engine, I’d imagine the poor soul in shackles trudging up the steps his end awaiting him at the top.

There were plenty of stories of ghost sightings, the jangling of chains and all that but the one that I knew first hand was the feeling of voices under my step, that sensation of hearing “Ugh” for step I took. I am sure each stone has its own story connected to the wretches who laboured over the construction never knowing that what they saw as the path to eternity would one day become the path to enjoyment and good health.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2017/07/17/fffaw-challenge-week-of-july-18-2017/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to FFfAW Challenge-Week of July 18, 2017 – Brand’s Steps

1. Fandango says:

Oh man, I screwed up big time. I decided to participate in this week’s challenge, my first time doing so. I wrote my post and published it. Then I went back and read the rules saying that the post should not exceed 150 words. Mine was over 300. Damn. Well, next time I intend to stay WITHIN the lines.

2. Great story, Michael! Seems ironic that the steps used to take “wretches” to the gallows is now steps to health and vitality!

3. Reena Saxena says:

Hope grows in the form of grass.

4. Jael Sook says:

Wow, that’s impressive–the whole thing–I’m too tired to retype every gem, so I hope you won’t feel slighted 🙂

5. Martin Cororan says:

…You put in all that manual labour, and then you get spliced with a stone!

6. Iain Kelly says:

Excellent take. A bit like the tourists who know enjoy the Pyramids or Roman ruins – imagine the lives of the slaves forced to build them for our enjoyment centuries later.

7. michael1148humphris says:

Everything has history, loved how you illustrated this.

8. James says:

Imagine each step is part of the spine of a prisoner.

9. A century has passed by and the steps have changed their utility. a good story taking the readers down to history.

10. Sandi says:

Very interesting. Yes, if the steps could tell stories! the early years, death, the years someone sat and cried on them, the exercise, etc.

11. …and one day the stairway to heaven perhaps. A delightful take.

12. Joy Pixley says:

An interesting story of renewal, that the stones that once beheld such tragedy are reborn for new, healthy, happy purpose. Great take on the prompt!

13. Well done! I enjoyed this.

14. Well something positive came out of something created for punishment.